Chrony siting distance

Remington 700

Just wondering what others do.

1. How far do you site you chrony from the muzzle, do you measure it accurately everytime or just estimate the distance
2. Can you see a difference in speed with a mod fitted.

The destructions that come with them give around ten feet on average, to place from muzzle, I have not seen any changes to velocity with or without a moderator, (probably as I need to shoot with one on :)), I would reckon that if you are within a pace or two it really wouldn't make a great deal of difference.

Ok, put your hands up, who has shot and killed a chronograph? I've wounded one but it survived. JC

I could probably get away with 10ft from my .223 but my "deer" rifles give off a bit more blast so I generally go for 15ft. (Too close and you might damage the chrono or get false readings from airborne detritus) Not "true" MV I know, but you could always get a ballistics programme to back calc if you were that fussy.

One at 10 ft, one at 53 yards and one at 103 yards... all in a line. I get to measure the actual ballistic coefficient that way.~Muir

A few years back I posed the question to a 'Shooting Times' expert. the answer came back as, Ten feet from the muzzle and add between 10 and 20 fps for "as near as dammit" the true muzzle velocity.

DSCF00025.jpg

You'll have the anti's after you shooting these poor defenseless chrono's !!!, shame on you, all the same it's not an uncommon occurrance, I'll put my hands up to shooting a piece out of the roofbar on the motor after I'd snook up on a rabbit :doh: :oops:...callie

I'd chorono'ed lots of air rifles before using one on my 303, so I "knew" the form. Easy, just shoot the gun so the bullet goes between the sticks. What could be easier? First shot blew my chrono and tri-pod over and removed all the writing from the face of it. Range to chrono? 3 feet. Ideal for an air rifle, not so for a powder burner:oops::doh:

Set the Chrony up as per the instructions that came with it - The manufacturer made it so he knows best! If you don't want to wreck it you can put a deflector in front of it - I've made some for mine using clear Makrolon (polycarbonate) sheet for mine. It's easy to machine and can easily be bent using a heat gun to warm it up.
Ian

I was testing a 3500 round lot of ammo that was rumored to have some QC problems last summer. I used my new chrono for the job. On the third shot, a squib round placed a bullet squarely through the chrono. I completed my tests with one of my back-ups. The funny part? In response to my report, the production engineer (who is now flipping burgers at Mc Donalds) was insistent that I tell them the velocity of the round that destroyed the unit. Huh?? :cuckoo:

Needless to say, the manufacturer replaced it within the week.~Muir

The instructions dont take account of having a moderator fitted, mine is usually about 4ft away, it makes it easier to get the bullet through at exactly the right height. Used to have it about 15 ft away, stopped that after putting 150 grns of 30 cal through the rear sensor! it recorded "error" :lol:

Just wondering what others do.

1. How far do you site you chrony from the muzzle, do you measure it accurately everytime or just estimate the distance
2. Can you see a difference in speed with a mod fitted.

Mine actually tells you to put it 10-15ft infront of it. If you place it too close the muzzle flash could affect the results.

Mine actually tells you to put it 10-15ft infront of it. If you place it too close the muzzle flash could affect the results.
Not the muzzle flash, but the blast.
If the screens are moved the slightest degree by the muzzle blast, you will get erratic readings.
I have started using two tripods, one at each end of the beam.

Ian.

Not the muzzle flash, but the blast.
If the screens are moved the slightest degree by the muzzle blast, you will get erratic readings.
I have started using two tripods, one at each end of the beam.

Ian.

Whitebeard. How do you mean?

Back