Re: Leupold VX – III 4.5 – 14 X 50 30mm Tube

sandersj89

I have just fitted one of the above scopes to my HMR, Duplex Reticule

First impressions out of the box:

Nice feel to the scope, decent weight but not too heavy. Scope seems well finished and fittings seem to be put together with tight tolerances.

Instructions nice and clear and well written in plain English.

First look through the scope:

I had looked through a couple of second hand/older examples of this scope and that is what made me decide on getting one of these to upgrade my Nikko Sterling Nighteater sat on my HMR.

I am not disappointed by this scope. The sight picture is very good, excellent light transmission and crisp focus on both reticule and objective.

I have a Schmidt and bender on my 243 and this scope compares very well though I am yet to look through it under a lamp or at twilight.

Eye relief is good and I find it easy to get a clear sight picture through the scope prone, standing or kneeling.

Mounting/Bore Sighting:

Mounted the scope and then bore sighted it. No issues at all.

Zeroing:

Out this evening to zero, weather was far from perfect being windy but I needed to get out an about. I normally zero at 100m but set up in a reasonably sheltered spot at 40m to just see how we go. Bore sighting had worked well and first group of three 1.5 inches left but perfect height.

A few adjustments and I shot a decent group soon after:

100_2604.jpg

Overall all impressions:

Very pleased, the optic quality is good, I set up at one point looking towards a very low sun as it set and had no problem getting a clear sight picture.

In bright light the image was excellent.

Zoom, is smooth and easy to move/set.

Parallax, likewise.

I need to get it out with a lamp and in the dark but I am very pleased with it so far.

A very snaps:

100_2606.jpg

100_2607.jpg

100_2608.jpg

Jerry

Leupold VX!!!

Totally agree with all you said. These are first rate scopes, I have three Leupolds in constant use and have never felt the need to change, top gear at reasonable price.

sandersj89,
Are they Sportsmatch mounts you are using?
The reason I ask is, that all my rifles have Warne mounts and to change a scope is a complete set up job each time.
I was thinking of getting some rings that can have just the top part of the ring taken off to change the scope and maybe! just maybe, I may be able to get away with swopping the scope, once it's been set up and zeroed of course, without having to go through a full re-zero procedure.

i use warne qd mounts on my prohunter .243.

barska 3-9x50 zeroed 1" high @100 using 85gn federal vital shock, no moderator. mooching munty and fox gun.
18052008101.jpg

leupold 6.5-20x50 zeroed at 200 using 55gn ballistic silvertip, T8 fitted. foxing setup.
22042008068.jpg

both return to zero each time when fitted, as long as you push the scope forward while attaching.

sikamalc said:
You wont go far wrong with a Leoupold scope, hope you put some blood on it soon. ;)

3 bunnies fell to it soon after setting up, all sub 60m at this stage until I get a chance to re zero at 100m like I normally do with the HMR.
8)

sikamalc said:
You wont go far wrong with a Leoupold scope, hope you put some blood on it soon. ;)

3 bunnies fell to it soon after setting up, all sub 60m at this stage until I get a chance to re zero at 100m like I normally do with the HMR.
8)

EMcC said:
sandersj89,
Are they Sportsmatch mounts you are using?

I need to check the paper work as I cant remember off hand, I believe they are weaver mounts, ordered them from Optics Warehouse with the scope.

Jerry

Back