what would you do.

the scudd

hi iv,e got a bit of a dilema. i own a gwp bitch she,s 8 months old i,m training her up as a tracking dog, she,s coming along ok very bidable. my only concern is that she is very soft are they a naturally soft dog.
i was thinking of getting a bmh and selling the gwp on as a rough shooting dog, should i percevere on or sell her on, thanks

Stick with the dog. my GWP had me thinking when it was a young dog that it might not be up to the job , it would run away from most things dead but now is a great shooting companion and deer finder who just wants to search for deer.Take things slowly and give it plenty of successful finds and praise.

Cheers Davie

SHEis only a baby, you need take time give chance mature phsically and mentally, most of all make it fun while she learning, whats her breeding any chance photo rgds Alex

thanks for the replies, i think i will keep her as you say alex she,s only a baby.
she is bred from irish parents neither were stalking dogs just working gundogs
i will try to get a picture up but i,m not to hot on the computer. thanks the scudd

hi iv also got a gwp who is 7 months old shes coming on really well with gun dog training and i was wondering if you have any advice on when and how to start training her as a deer tracking dog???

Stick with it mate, underneath that soft biddable nature lies a beast! Both wires i have had have been very easy going until the poop hits the fan and they change do the job then change back again. No more scrapping or fears of them retrieving jack Russell's just intense work and drive.

Sell her scudd she will never make a tracking dog if she dont rush in and grab any dog that jumps when a crisp poke rattles of takes flight when a childs toy is in the wrong place will not take up the many challanges of a stalking companion.:rofl: Only kidding mate your dog is not even old enough to evaluate and while you can start the training the dogs attitued will be totally differnt when it is an adult.

buckandyoungbuck.jpg

what would do

hi iv,e got a bit of a dilema. i own a gwp bitch she,s 8 months old i,m training her up as a tracking dog, she,s coming along ok very bidable. my only concern is that she is very soft are they a naturally soft dog.
i was thinking of getting a bmh and selling the gwp on as a rough shooting dog, should i percevere on or sell her on, thanks

hi you have nothing to worry about as she is very young , i have 2 h.w.v they can be very soft & sensitive but when it hits the fan they will do the job .
dont push her too hard and when it does happen you may be a bit surprised at how hard she will go in on a dead or wounded deer, dont jump in and stop her she will soon calm down .
you could give her a deer head to play with because if a shot deer is alive that is the end they need to get hold of,or better still use a full one try and get her to hold the neck .

Keep trying. My wirehaired Vis finally turned his brain on at 18 months.In this country we expect too much of a young dog .In hungary they teach the dog to come ,sit etc then in horse talk 'turn them away' for a while,this enable them to mature and get used to life .At 12months my HWV was gun nervous and velcroed to my leg, now at 4 years is an superb pointing and beating dog with a nose like Radar will do a 48 hr aged track no problem and will grab or hold at bay according to need. Gentle training and enjoy the
puppyhood

Arthur.jpg .

Andrew, your pup will no doubt be showing good instinct and drive, its all there just a matter of time until the penny drops!

My GWP bitch went through her adolescent stage between 9 and 14 months old. At that stage she seemed to take a step backwards in her training, so I just kept on with the basics. Between 18 months and 2 years she really started to understand what its all about, indicating deer and generally getting very exited; so now I'm having to try to calm her down a touch.

They are slower to mature than Labs or Spaniels and I'm not expecting to see her mature untill about 3 years old. She loves stalking though and is a real benefit. Its a bit like having an early warning system for deer. On my last trip, I saw two Roe that I would have walked past had she not indicated their prescence, one being a nice buck which I managed to shoot. It's a team effort and I wouldnt go back to stalking without a dog.

You might need to sacrifice a few opportunities in the early days and use your stalking outings as more of a dog training session. It's impossible to concentrate on both dog and deer, but keep it up and your pup will soon be doing great.

Good luck

Mac

Mines 18 month now basics got easy at 1 year and not looked back. Taking it slow at his pace short and fun dose not get distracted like he used to.
ATB simo

I agree totally I have a GWP and he was dragging a roe buck at 12 weeks but when there was no deer about he was a nutta, he is now 26 month old and has settled down some what. He can still turn it on when i have the rifle with me or he sents deer.

I agree with the previous posters. You are expecting too much too soon from her, she is still a puppy. I can tell you that a BMH will take about 2 years to really come into its own, and I have no doubt your dog will be the same.

Stick with it, you will be ok.

ATB

Sikamalc

You lucky beggars, my GWP wanted to take on the world when he was a pup. He was less than six months old when he routed two GSP's belonging to a friend. His kennal name is Lenny the Lion and that just about summed him up, he was afraid of nothing. He was an absolute nightmare to get around to my way of thinking, certainly not easy going like the labradors I have had previously. He is now 13 years old and has gone soft but I'm sure he would still do the business if necessary.

Back