Thread: New scope

New scope

I am looking for a new scope for stalking and foxing .I will have around 600 after I have sold my Tikka 595 so was thinking of one of the the following

Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 665 - It's a Zeiss sounds cheap are they any good ? I've heard that Meopta do some manufacturing for Zeiss is that true ?

Meopta Artemis 2000 vari 3-12x 50 588 - Anyone got one ?

IOR 4-14x50 592 -little known but owners seem to rave about them -but who wouldn't if you've forked out 600.

I once owned a Pecar but sold it because I didn't like the reticle only to find out after that you could change the reticle.I rue that day.Sadly Pecar went bust but I would like something as good without taking out a second mortgage

advice on the above please

A Zeiss Conquest might be a good choice.

Mate of mine has the bigger 6 - 20 x 50, got it for 500 second hand and its very good although a bit big for my liking

I quite fancy the 4.5 - 14 x 50 although havent used one, 20x mag seems a bit OTT

They are around and seem like a good buy.

Next glass for me will be I.O.R.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

All good choices for sure. I've used a lot of Leupold scopes and found them to be fine and still have a 3-9x50 European 30 on one of my rifles. It does lose out on light transmission to my S&B 3-12x50 which will give me about an extra 15mins field time over the Leupold but I don't think it's unique in that respect. I think they retail around 450 so you could get some good mounts too. Look at the used market - there will be a big choice of top flight optics at that sort of money. York Guns have a good used scope selection and, just having taken a quick look have an S&B 2.5-10x56 under 600.

Hope that helps a little

I have Conquest 4.5-14x50 and am very happy with it. You can have it new from the states for about 500.
    If you want to buy Meopta go for Meostar not old Artemis line. There was a new MeoPro scope on ebay for around 330, maybe still is, but I have no experience with MeoPros.

Did you go to states or just buy over internet? if so what site?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen2 View Post
    Did you go to states or just buy over internet? if so what site?
    I just bought it via ebay.

After having Swarovski scopes for the last 20 years, my most recent purchase was a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 x 50. Had one or two warranty problems with a new Swaro scope recently and decided to try another brand.
    I have it on a .270 and it is excellent. Great value for money too.
    Try Swillington Shooting supplies for one, they will beat any deal you get from other suppliers.

I have an IOR 4-14x50 on my stalking rifle, I have used this rifle under lamp for fox out to 300 yards and sold my 8x56 S&B when I was confident it did the same job at a higher mag.

I bought mine at the height of the currency boom and paid 330 for it. I now own 2 IOR scopes and will be buying a third in FFP for tactical comps.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen2 View Post

Meopta Artemis 2000 vari 3-12x 50 588 - Anyone got one ?
    I have the meostar 3-12x56 in 30mm on a .270 and it is rather good. Most of the deer I have shot with in have been in low light.