T3 Lite 6.5x55 Stainless, What ammo will it like?

kelvo73

I collect my new set up on friday (T3 Lite stainless etc) 6.5x55 I am stalking on the weekend with it for roe so what ammo should I try?

Mine loves norma to pieces here is a 3 shot group i took at 85 yards (not 100 as i used the wrong tree as a marker on my self made range on the farm :rolleyes: ) anyway the picture does the talking.

DSC04233.jpg

That was 156 grain Alaska tips although they may be a tad heavy for roe.

George

Try Norma 120 ballistic tips if you can get them, i use them in my sauer and it loves them, they are the best round i have used in the 6.5.

wicklow202

I collect my new set up on friday (T3 Lite stainless etc) 6.5x55 I am stalking on the weekend with it for roe so what ammo should I try?
Kelvo, is it a "NEW" to you, or a brand new rifle? if it's brand new you are short on time or going to be dead lucky, to sort it for the weekend.

Its brand new but if we don't sort it on the range in time I have organised for the estate rifle as back up. Just hope we get it sorted. Thats why i'm asking for advice on what might suit it and i'll get maybe 2 different types and pick the best if I have time.

Buy a box each of Norma, and maybe Winchester supreme (black box) if you can get them and try them out. You will be relying on pot luck at this short notice.

I may be wrong but Im pretty sure Norma a gilding metal in their heads to make the bullets harder...think its called Tobin ( correct me if im wrong ) and I was told not to use a guilding round in a new rifle as it needs to have the barrel shot in with softer bullet heads first..as the gilding heads wont leave the copper deposit.
I used federal with mine first of all........for first 50 I think, they were good, then I used Norma after a shop let me have some....I now reload with Pro hunters now, which I believe are the heads federal use.
Re the gilding metal i think thats what military heads are made of too to make them harder

Found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilding_metal

Last edited:
Don't worry overmuch about jacket materials, as the harder the jacket the sooner the imperfections in the bore will be ironed out, softer jackets will leave behind a deposit which will cover over these flaws & need to be cleaned out,......... heads are usually found at the other end of the cartridge (case head), bullets sit in the case mouth, bullet heads are usually shaven headed types.:D

Back