what scope?

+1 for Swaro' 2-12x50 illuminated. Fine crosshair suits zeroing at the range, illumination solves fine crosshair problem close in. Easily zeroed and the bullet moves exactly as much as you rotate the turrets, no-more no-less.
I've used it for deer, crow shooting and driven boar and I would put them on every rifle except my f-class if I could afford to.
Don't forget that the rings you use will make or break any scope you mount on any rifle. Scope movement is the No' 1 cause of wandering zero's and perceived rifle problems.

Decided on the 6-24 x 56 Zeiss with mil dot reticle.

Now I have to decide what gun to put it on.

What would be your recommendation to cover all UK species? Again, no limit on money.

Being a new comer to stalking what, given no monetary restrictions, would be your ideal scope to cover all stalking eventualities?

Limulus,
Daunting isn't it mate . Good choices for all of the above replies. Your choice is obviously to cover all eventualities because your mind is racing with scenario's that could need 6x to 24x mags. There is an element of luxury in the Zeiss you mentioned, there is also a compromise ther too....it's bulk ! With 2200 quid to spend the choice is staggering, my guess is that you've probably changed your mind a hundred times but keep coming back to an 'all eventualities' scope. Realistically you will seldom need more than 12x mag for the longest shots, and even then that would take a rock steady hold to prevent it shaking all over your target area. Just wielding that monster around could cause problems in itself, the turrets are tall and can foul on the most insignificant objects. The realities are that you will seldom have time to fiddle about with ballistic turrets, so rely on a well set zero that covers your most often encountered ranges. If you are lamping foxes and woodland stalking with the same rifle then select a reticle that has thick posts leading to a thin / finer crosshair such as a no. 4. Illuminated reticles are a personal choice, they don't have to be turned on all the time so getting one increases your choices, so with that budget go for one anyway. To be sure of quality and service backup stick to the German scopes, there are other very good quality brands out ther but i'm guessing you want peace of mind so don't purchase something else and then always wonder "what if" ! Go for a larger objective lens, 50mm to 56mm work very well because they increase the light transmission to your eye in darker conditions, bear in mind that maximum light transmission (a factor of 7 is all your eye can detect) is easily calculated by dividing that objective diameter by the magnification in use eg 50 mm divided by 7x mag gives a factor of 7 = maximum light to the eye. A 56mm would be 8x mag. Lower magnificayion capability gives you a wider field of view through the scope, so making target aquisition easier in difficult conditions. A very good all round no nonsense scope is 7x50 and 8x56, I've used a Schmidt Bender 8x56 for years on foxes and deer and never wished for it to do anything more than what it does, and does very well...see it and hit it !Looking at all the facts go for a 2.5 -3 (lower end mag) with a 12 to 15 (upper end mag) and 50mm or 56mm objective lens. Familiarise yourself as often as possible with your rifle and calibre characteristics, find out the best set zero distance and then you can just concentrate on hitting what you are looking at, instead of worrying about details that won't affect the outcome, if you shoot straight.

Don't worry, Be Happy

Cheers

Ade

i have a swaro and a schmidt both 6x42. i find the mag and clarity fine for daylight (non illuminated) work and have shot roe to about 200yds no problem. I prefer the swaro but i think thats more the crosshair than the optical clarity, both similar. I do find them too low mag for foxing on the lamp though and will replace the one on the 243 with something with a little more power. but purely for stalking i would say 6x42 is perfect, most of my shots are 100yds or less so why would i need more than a 6?

I'm thinking of plonking the scope atop a blazer but what calibre is the question.
Ive gone for the Zeiss as it seems German makes are the best, the 56 OL good light gathering, 6 mag as just about perfect for woodland stalking and the greater mags for foxing/long range target shooting. I toyed with the Zeiss with the range finder built in but decided on the Zeiss rangefinding binos for that instead.
Given the above useage what calibre would you recommend?

I'm thinking of plonking the scope atop a blazer but what calibre is the question.
Ive gone for the Zeiss as it seems German makes are the best, the 56 OL good light gathering, 6 mag as just about perfect for woodland stalking and the greater mags for foxing/long range target shooting. I toyed with the Zeiss with the range finder built in but decided on the Zeiss rangefinding binos for that instead.
Now you've done it,i'm going to get in before the 6.5x55 mob with 30.06,as for rifles blaser,sauer,sako all good stuff.:lol:

If a blazer go for the multi barrel, .308 for deer will cover all species and boar and a .243 for fox and lesser quarry. I read some great reviews and there are a few guys on here that have tried them and never looked back. Must say the straight pull would probably take some getting used to!

Limulus,
Daunting isn't it mate . Good choices for all of the above replies. Your choice is obviously to cover all eventualities because your mind is racing with scenario's that could need 6x to 24x mags. There is an element of luxury in the Zeiss you mentioned, there is also a compromise ther too....it's bulk ! With 2200 quid to spend the choice is staggering, my guess is that you've probably changed your mind a hundred times but keep coming back to an 'all eventualities' scope. Realistically you will seldom need more than 12x mag for the longest shots, and even then that would take a rock steady hold to prevent it shaking all over your target area. Just wielding that monster around could cause problems in itself, the turrets are tall and can foul on the most insignificant objects. The realities are that you will seldom have time to fiddle about with ballistic turrets, so rely on a well set zero that covers your most often encountered ranges. If you are lamping foxes and woodland stalking with the same rifle then select a reticle that has thick posts leading to a thin / finer crosshair such as a no. 4. Illuminated reticles are a personal choice, they don't have to be turned on all the time so getting one increases your choices, so with that budget go for one anyway. To be sure of quality and service backup stick to the German scopes, there are other very good quality brands out ther but i'm guessing you want peace of mind so don't purchase something else and then always wonder "what if" ! Go for a larger objective lens, 50mm to 56mm work very well because they increase the light transmission to your eye in darker conditions, bear in mind that maximum light transmission (a factor of 7 is all your eye can detect) is easily calculated by dividing that objective diameter by the magnification in use eg 50 mm divided by 7x mag gives a factor of 7 = maximum light to the eye. A 56mm would be 8x mag. Lower magnificayion capability gives you a wider field of view through the scope, so making target aquisition easier in difficult conditions. A very good all round no nonsense scope is 7x50 and 8x56, I've used a Schmidt Bender 8x56 for years on foxes and deer and never wished for it to do anything more than what it does, and does very well...see it and hit it !Looking at all the facts go for a 2.5 -3 (lower end mag) with a 12 to 15 (upper end mag) and 50mm or 56mm objective lens. Familiarise yourself as often as possible with your rifle and calibre characteristics, find out the best set zero distance and then you can just concentrate on hitting what you are looking at, instead of worrying about details that won't affect the outcome, if you shoot straight.

Don't worry, Be Happy

Cheers

Ade

Ade....Bloody hell....You do know how to put things into perspective bach;););)

This is my system......S and B or Docter 8x56.......Point rifle in general direction of target......Aquire target in scope ....Fine tune cross hairs to point of impact.......Hold breath once.........Pull trigger.........Job done !.....Simples
:D:D:D

Rocky

Last edited:

Limulus,
That's a whole can of worms there ! Take cover under the kitchen table and assume the foetal position, cry for your Mamma ! If you thought choosing a scope was contentious wait for this one mate.

You need to go above .240 cal for starters, that will give you the flexibility (and legal requirements) to take any species in the UK. Ammunition availability is a major consideration, there's no point going for a calibre choice that you either can't get hold of or, have to travel across the country to pick up. So look at a calibre that is readily available, has the flexibility to use lighter and heavier bullet weights and will 'crucially' be approved by your local Firearms Department for your use. There are fashions in this game that we all subscribe to, calibres are no different ! The fact is that any number of these will do the job well. I use .243 for fox and deer up to Fallow hinds, and 30-06 for everything from there upwards and (downwards if there's a chance of bumping into different species) including Red, Fallow buck, Sika and Boar, and next year African plains game. You can though take everything with the 30-06, by using the correct choice of round. Go out, meet up with some of the lads and try several different combinations to see which suits you best. There's a few meetings organised on here so go along and listen to what the guy's have to say.

Hold on tight !

Ade

Ade....Bloody hell....You do know how to put things into perspective bach;););)

This is my system......S and B or Docter 8x56.......Point rifle in general direction of target......Aquire target in scope ....Fine tune cross hairs to point of impact.......Hold breath once.........Pull trigger.........Job done !.....Simples
:D:D:D

Rocky

Hello EEE,

Where you been Bychan ? Liked that did you, just started the calibre choice going.....oh no !!!!

Hwyl

Ade

Ade bach...When you decide to pop in for the cuppa that you promised carw fach, don't get me into ANY deep discussions. I have a feeling that I may come off the worst for it !:eek::eek::eek:

EEE

Ade bach...When you decide to pop in for the cuppa that you promised carw fach, don't get me into ANY deep discussions. I have a feeling that I may come off the worst for it !:eek::eek::eek:

EEE

EEE,
Don't bet on it, I'm as thick as pig **** me, too many knocks to the noggin, too many nocks to the noggin, too many nocks to the noggin !

I have to fully agree with Ade's sentiments.

Remember the simple things in life like the SAS boy's old adage KISS....

The less there is to go wrong...the less will go wrong.

I like glass that is simple.....no fiddling about....concentrate on the real issue which is the stalk and getting under the animal's radar. The whole thing about stalking is 'Fieldcraft'....everything else is merely 'bye the bye' as long as you have the basic equipment to do the job.

EEE

Well said EEE.
For example, I have used a 3/8th choke (top and bottom barrel) in my Berreta o/u for years, no matter what is on the menu. It does'nt mash or run out of steam on anything. I never have to question which barrel to use, because i am confident that my kit is going to do the job.....so concentration is totally on the job in hand and not questioning "is that a top or bottom choke shot". Keep it simple Limulus. You don't find the best stalkers fiddling with magnification and turrets, they know the kit and how to use it !

All the Best with your choices Lim'

Ade

Hungarian 6x42 Schmidt. Its done a double ton for me so it can't be that bad!

Iwrch,

Just for the record Trev, I ain't a "Cardi", they stole my team. Ponty through and through though. I'm like an Australian barman, always banging on about how good it is back home, but living somewhere else haha !

.....And your choice of calibre would be ?

Ade

Back