harkila or seelander

MrYou

For years i have been wearing barbour or similar jackets, with a fleese i had best of both worlds, warm & cosy for walking, breathable & cooler for hunts, & more vigerous adventures, without.
It that time of year & i need a good jacket. Which way do i go ? seeland or harkila. Help :confused:

If you can afford it - go for Harkila every time. Better materials, better made, performs better and back-up service has been great in my experience.

overrated and over priced in my opinion both of them and funnily enough my ram jacket or ancient swanndri have never required a back up service!!

Harkila is 3X the price it should be.. £85 for a pair of gloves that wont fit inside any trigger guard !!!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't give Seelander the time of day, but having tried plenty of other jackets I bought a Harkila about a year ago. Never looked back, great bit of kit. Never been cold or wet in it. Bought the pro-hunter suit.

harkila pro hunter suit total rubbish i am on my second suit after waiting 6 months to get it replaced by far the most over rated crap you could buy anyone who thinks other wise has not used it daily/professionally .after service is a joke so is the five year warranty and it is also very noisy dont be fooled by magazine reviews it is total shite...........

I have the Harkila pro huter light jacket (picked it up for half price in Inverness) very nice bit of kit dry, warm and not too bulky thinking about getting the prohunter trouser's as I'm tired of wet leg's.

Haven't tried Seelander but both the Harkila Prohunter jacket and Kodiak trousers I've got are excellent.

I'd also rate Sportchief kit - I wore their trousers stalking in Scotland last month and they kept me bone dry, even though I was lying in 6 inches of water for 15 minutes waiting for the right stag to present a clear shot. They are fleece lined, which means they can be warm when the sun's out, but that wasn't a problem in Sutherland this year ;)

willie_gunn

Appin,

If you have any Gore Tex product (Which all harkila jackets are) you have the option to return it to Gore in livingston for a full refund if it is leaking at any time. You do not have to wait for your retailer or harkila to do this for you. I have done this a few times with other products and have found them to be very helpful.

Full details can be found here - Gore-Tex Guaranteed

If the prohunter is not for you, what other suit do you reccommend?

Harkila guarantee only covers material failure, not lack of waterproofing. I have both jacket and trousers (over a year now) and can honestly say that the trousers are a little drier than jeans, but only on sunny days. The jacket is comfortable and not over warm, but I don't like a jacket to be too warm anyway, it is shower proof, but when the rain comes heavy and horizontal it gets wet at the elbows and under the arms where the vent zips leak, it also gets very wet when used for crawling in wet peat/moss. Definitely not the best gear I've used. I still have two Kammo jackets that are ripped and torn on the outside (had both for over ten yrs) but they refuse to let in water. If you are out in very wet conditions I would say that Nomad stuff is probably as good as is out there. Next time I am out in the wet (more than likely next week) I will wear the Harkila jacket and take pics of where the wet comes in, just to show folks who think they are buying some great gear

quite simply gore tex is not up to the job if you are a stalker as soon as pressure is applied water will come through. i have tried deerhunter swazi harkila swandri paramo tweed but by far the best stuff is nomad.some jackets are ok it seems to be plus fours and trousers that always let you down apart from nomad the stuff doesnt leak.i am out every day wearing gear so i have done a lot of testing only one has been up to it............

Always intrested to discover something new and good, I read a lot about good outdoor gear. Alaskan outfitters seem to recommend Helly Hansen Impertech gear ( jackets and trousers) as being far better than any gore tex lined jacket. This to hunt in severe Alaskan weather conditions. This over a good membrane lined fleece ( Hoggs Stalker fleece) could be a good and reasonable priced alternative to some expensive jackets.
Just Google for Helly Hansen Impertech. Does anybody use them?

This is a quick reply and I haven't read any of the replies...
Seeland quality can be a hit and miss.
Me, I wouldn't buy anything Seeland again.

Thank you and good night

I have a prohunter jacket and really rate it. It's kept me warm and dry in some truly horrendous conditions on the North York moors.

I've got some seeland lingfield trousers and they are noisier and noticeably cheaper inconstruction than the harkilla stuff I have. The have actually just gone porus after 18 months heavy use during the cooler months.

Whatever you get you want a jacket that doesn't have too much insulation so you can add or remove layers underneath to suit conditions.
One thing to bear in mind with any breathable material is that for it to work you need a good well fitting (skin tight) base layer.
If you don't then the your perspiration just soaks the inside of the jacket or trousers and makes you feel wet (because you are wet from the inside).

Never wear cotton next to your skin as it gets damp and doesn't dry. Spunking £250 odd on a jacket and then wearing a cheapo T shirt or cotton shirt underneath is like buying a ferrari and putting nankang remould tyres on it.

I'm not sure I buy appins comment about goretex not being up to it. My goretex overtrousers have stood up to years of abuse, enduro riding and pressurewashing stuff off, they've never leaked.

I bought a Seeland jacket and soon afterwards my wife bought one too, (not the same type!). They are ok, but I have been very disappointed on how they have faired over the year or so I've had them.

My one went back initially after a couple of months as stitching had come undone. They did replace it though.
Then it ripped open on the front on a thorn bush, not very durable.
Now it leaks water round the seams. (out of warranty)

My wifes leaked like a sieve from day one. (They tried to fix it but it never lasted, now out of warranty)
Then the pockets ripped from taking things in and out of them.
The dummy carrier on the back ripped off when carrying dummies.

I wouldn't buy one again, or two for that matter.

Can't comment on Harkila stuff as it's out of my price range. I am thinking of a Swazi though................

before you spend your hard earned check out some sherwood forest stuff good gear at reasonable price,s

I've found seeland to be pretty good value. Picked up a pair of trousers for £45 the other day, wind and waterproof if a little noisy...
Decent wellies as well.

As mentioned, Harkila and Seeland are made by the same company.

Back