Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 Norma Oryx Vs. SP

.243 Norma Oryx Vs. SP

Greetings esteemed ladies and gentlement of the forum!

I have been using the Norma SP 100 grain for Roe this year, and am very pleased with its performance; however, using it on Red Stags this weekend, made me realise that its a bit under-gunned. Not having the ability to get another caliber approved 'and' purchased this season, I was thinking that up-scaling to the Oryx bullet might be a good alternative - from the Norma site it seems that it packs a bit more punch, opens faster, and helps drop a larger animal quicker.

any input?

thanks in advance,

Are you sure you want a bullet that opens faster? Surely, with 243 on a red you want something that will hang together long enough to get a good distance into the chest cavity.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

ive used federal .243 spbt 100g in the past on reds. never had a problem with them. They come in a blue box power shok i think they were called.

Winchester 95 grain ballistic silver tip will stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by 177landy View Post
    Winchester 95 grain ballistic silver tip will stop them.
    Stop them doing what?

Seriously, though; if the stags are in Scotland, the bullets are 5gr tooo light.

I use hornady 100 grain SP (not home loaded at the moment) and drop a fair few reds every year, no problem.
    Favour the .243 over the .270 I have. Some of the stags are big fellas as well and hav'nt had a problem.

I would stick with what you are using - if you go for faster opening then you run the real risk of lack of penetration if shot placement is slightly off.

The Oryx should be a much better bullet than the normal soft point. I don't see how it would expand quicker as it a bonded bullet.
    I only use Oryx in my 7x57R and my .308 they retain over 90% weight and i can vouch for that as i have recovered them from moose and weighed them.

Yeah, my impression was also that the Oryx opened slower due to the bonding and the higher jacket around the tip..compared to the SP. My thoughts were that if you accidentally put a bullet through a rib or a shoulder, the Oryx would provider better penetration and expand in the vitals, whereas there's a higher 'chance' that the SP might expand too quickly and leave a runner.

Second or rather third the fact that the Oryx would expand more violently than a normal SP bullet.Otherwise agree with last 2 posters. I have used Oryx in 6.5x55 but not shot any beasts with them.