Lvl 2 prices

mick b

just been looking on tinternet and was amazed at the price for lvl 2 assessments.
is this a country wide issue or are they over pricing for said stalk/assessment?

i can understand the cost of a stalk to be included but a charge of £350 all in is a bit too much.

Can any one shed some light on this matter please. i know some guys will come to the ground you stalk on and assess you for the cost of a pint and petrol :thumb:

Are you a member of the BDS? Attend their regular meetings and range days and have a chat with them. You should find stalkers there who are accredited witnesses and willing to help. They will be more interested in imparting knowledge and helping you than those seeking to profit from you.

Just remember to repay them and the club for their generosity, help and time.

just been looking on tinternet and was amazed at the price for lvl 2 assessments.
is this a country wide issue or are they over pricing for said stalk/assessment?

i can understand the cost of a stalk to be included but a charge of £350 all in is a bit too much.

Can any one shed some light on this matter please. i know some guys will come to the ground you stalk on and assess you for the cost of a pint and petrol :thumb:

Seems very steep. Most of the guys I've been stalking with wouldn't charge for an assessment; all included in standard stalking outing fee.

I tend to agree with John.
£ 350 per stalk seems a bit high.
Give John a shout having personal experience and doing my dsc2 with him, I can recommend highly.

I get a little confused here, the assessment is already paid for when you pay to register for level 2.
If you are referring to the chap that fills out your portfolio, then that is an AW and he can neither pass or fail you.
The AW, the chap that follows the candidate, does not assess, all he does is witness the actions of the stalker and puts questions to him and notes the answers.
The portfolio is then sent to the assessor to make sure your answers tick all the relevent boxes.
He may 'phone you for clarification of anything not quite sufficiently covered in the answers in the portfolio.

I get a little confused here, the assessment is already paid for when you pay to register for level 2.
If you are referring to the chap that fills out your portfolio, then that is an AW and he can neither pass or fail you.
The AW, the chap that follows the candidate, does not assess, all he does is witness the actions of the stalker and puts questions to him and notes the answers.
The portfolio is then sent to the assessor to make sure your answers tick all the relevent boxes.
He may 'phone you for clarification of anything not quite sufficiently covered in the answers in the portfolio.​

been 4 years since i did my level2 .....my brother did his year before and we were lucky that local guy (angus) we found and became firm friends with....ken dennis ...rest his soul gone now.

anyway deal was then that he would come to your gorund and witness you on your own place with your "own" beasts and you got charged £40 a stalk wether you got a beast or not.....Ken however usually if you didnt score so to speak didnt charge .

iknow that other stalkers would allow you on their ground and assess you for the same, £40 but you didnt get carcass obviously just charged for the assessment and not even for the stalking i guess.

sauer

It depends what you call expencive any one got an idea what should be charged for an AW stalk on the AW,S ground ps it takes me 2 hours to fill in one complete section of the new portfolio.

i dont think £120 per outing inc beast and carcass and on cull stuff is out of the question and £50 for a blank !

costs still have to be covered ,and witnessing in my opinion should also be included in that too !

cheers lee

My prices are for does £55(£50 p.m. or what is was last year) outing (paid anyway), £40 doe, and £40 for witnessng only if a beast is grassed and paperwork can be completed, and yes it takes me at least 2 hours to do paperwork then theres the phone calls to answer.
Without checking just an educated guess but probably did 45 dsc2 stalks the last doe season(so cant be to dear as wouldn't have done so many).
So £130 if sucessful on a p.m. stalk

Last edited:
Prices all depend on whether the witness is doing it as a hobby or a job. Some witnesses do it for petrol money and a favour if travelling to someones ground but then flip side is guys charging £120 for the day on his ground just to go out with £60 on top for acting as a witness + charges for beasts shot.

You just have to do what has been said and meet people.

Nothing, it never cost me anything for the AW ticket .I already work for a living .
I don't care if it's my ground or yours the portfolio is a pain but your the people that have to answer the questions .

All to many people are chasing paper without doing any preparation toward the level two ,go out and enjoy your knew found sport/pastime learn form it, then approach a witness take them out for a days stalking ask them to have a look at how where and when .

If I take someone out who hasn't got a level two, I always look at there practices ask the questions in preparation for there level two ,if they have a registration for the level two, I will right up on copied portfolio sheets and give them to them which ive done many times ,that way their not under any sort of duress by thinking there being tested .

It is not a test the AW cannot fail you in any way, if you find, stalk and shoot a deer ,gralloch ,answer the questions asked ,you've just completed a part of the level two portfolio it is not a problem ,Ive had people with disabilities out that can complete the elements required .

Back