Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Stalking Knife

Your Stalking Knife

Ok i thought i might start a thread on knives just because i would be interested and because of a broken leg, am EXTREMLY bored with nothing to do having cleanded every gun twice, so here goes
    its a fallkniven F1 with the zyletol? sheath, its never fallen out and is great for gralloching and bushcraft duties, theey are a little on the pricey side but well worth it[/url]

I've recently bought one of those cheap orange bushwear jobbies. Took it out for the first time and it was about as sharp as my a***e. Got it home and spent half an hour or so fettling it up and now its great. Holds a reasonable edge and I haven't lost it yet, which is a bonus!

Cheap as chips!

I've got fed up with buying fancy knives with hooks and straps and leather bits etc. Lovely to look at, but now I just want one serviceable knife that I can use for everything, not loose too easily in the half light and keep sharp but not worry about.[/url]

Frost Clippers are great but the blade is a bit too wide for my liking, especially when 'tunneling' a smaller deer. Otherwise, anything with a plastic handle & sheath which is cheap and takes (and holds) an edge works for me.

I carry 2 knives the 1st a M. Nieto locking pocket knife this cost me 20ish from my local iron monger it holds a fantastic edge I put a 25 degree angle onit with my lansky system and now even after spltting a rib cage, legging and heading a beast, 6 or so strokes on a steel and it shaves the old arm!! The second is an orange bush knife, I put a 30 degree edge on this and although Ive only used it once the exact same way as my pocket knife and again 6 or so strokes on the steel and its razor sharp.

Buck Alpha Hunter with rubber handle and synthetic sheath. Without a gut hook. Now use it for all deer gralloching, skinning and jointing the carcas. Extremely sharp, but also with enough weight that you can chop through the rib cage. - - but I did pay in what I would pay in US$.

I used to use an Opinal - again very good blade, but handle does get slippy and nothing to stop hand sliding onto the blade.

And I generally have a leatherman tool with me, which I have used to gralloch and skin a muntjack in the past.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010136.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	21798
    Just got a fallkniven TK6, cant recommend it strongly enough. Custom knife money but worth it.

carbon mora ....but i would like a custom one , bit scared of loosing it

I've got one of the EKA swing blades but I'd love it if it didn't have the gut bit and was fixed. Ash of this site made me an excellent sheath for it too.

I also have a Puma IP Stag but the sheath does not secure the knife very well and it's just not as nice in the haand as the cheaper EKA.

Sure the clippers are good, but I like having something a little nicer.

I have just got JES to make me a replacement for the knife I lost......

Lost one......

New one......