Firearms mentor/supervisor letter to licensing Police Force.

XYZ

Dear All,
Is there a prescribed format or letter template I can get the person who has agreed to be my mentor/supervisor to follow when he writes his agreement letter in support of my firearms application?

Thank you for any help,
Best Regards,
Adrian.

Hi Adrian

Dont forget your introduction post ;)
Introductions
My letter just read

I (Mentors Name) of (Mentor Address) agree to mentor Mr AdrianC. I am an open firearms certificate holder. number (Insert FAC number)

Then bung in phone numbers

i'm in the process of getting my 'accompanying' (mentoring) condition removed now, through the help of my friend and mentor Colin in the BDS. should hopefully be coming back any day now.

i've found with cheshire that as the condition isn't in home office guidelines there's no real procedure for getting it taken off so they've been a real pain about it (even with my level 1, range safety certfifcates and recommendations from stalkers etc.) telling me i'll have to wait 'a few years' to get it taken off. i'd think twice about accepting the condition mate as i wish i never did :doh:

i'm in the process of getting my 'accompanying' (mentoring) condition removed now, through the help of my friend and mentor Colin in the BDS. should hopefully be coming back any day now.

i've found with cheshire that as the condition isn't in home office guidelines there's no real procedure for getting it taken off so they've been a real pain about it (even with my level 1, range safety certfifcates and recommendations from stalkers etc.) telling me i'll have to wait 'a few years' to get it taken off. i'd think twice about accepting the condition mate as i wish i never did :doh:

AJWH, Did you have do the DSC1 before you applied?

I only ask as West Mercia will forgo the mentoring if you do the DSC1 and just wondered if Cheshire were the same? A friend of mine is just getting his mentoring condition removed as he has reached the 50 observed shots taken while in the company of his mentors.
50 shots :cuckoo::banghead:

ft

Sounds reasonable. :rolleyes:

Stick a roe profile up as a field target and get them all done in 5 minutes or so. ;)

Wait a minute, better make that 20 minutes to give the barrel a chance to cool between groups.

Flytie, I didn't have to do my DSC1 before I applied but they recommended it. I wanted to be comfortable with my own rifle for the shooting test though, so I applied first. What's weird is they gave me the .17HMR unrestricted... surely the same rules apply with backstops etc. even though the HMR disintegrates, so maybe they just don't think it poses much of a threat :-|.

Never heard of the 50 observed shots thing before but at least you've got a set rule up there!

Alex

If it isn't in Home office guidlines, what's it doing on your f.a.c.?????????? food for thought EH!............ be prepared for the long haul in Cheshire, stuff you don't possess appearing on ticket, stuff you do going missing, closed conditions arriving on open certs..............blah blah blah......................

The first contact was my FLO telling me you had to be 18 not 17 for a FAC (a year ago)... also have they told you about our superfoxes that .17HRM's and .243's just aren't suitable for? :lol:

... also have they told you about our superfoxes that .17HRM's and .243's just aren't suitable for? :lol:

That's a good one - it's usually the other way around with .308 etc. being 'overkill'! :cuckoo:

In Devon they just say- there is no specified time limit, when your mentor deems you ready.....off it comes.

Hi Adrian

Dont forget your introduction post ;)
Introductions
My letter just read

I (Mentors Name) of (Mentor Address) agree to mentor Mr AdrianC. I am an open firearms certificate holder. number (Insert FAC number)

Then bung in phone numbers

Many thanks to one and all for your replies, much appreciated. I should've mentioned at the start I joined the forum a while ago, postponed my FAC application and didn't vist for a while. When I returned my username was invalid and John couldn't find my details so I re-registered. The link to my initial introductory post is here: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?6034-Hello-from-a-new-member!

In Devon they just say- there is no specified time limit, when your mentor deems you ready.....off it comes.

That's what my FLO told me on his recent visit. It obviously needs to be realistic ie: don't expect it to be removed within a couple of weeks after shooting just one deer. If you can show you've stalked and shot a dozen over the period of six months to a year then it is reasonable to ask for the supervisory clause to be removed.

Thank you again for your replies.

Best Regards,
Adrian.

My FLO told me at our last meeting providing my mentor is happy I am muzzle aware and Ive a few deer and fox under my belt I can get the condition taken off pretty quickly.

Its madness when you consider Ive .17hmr and .22rf open and my .243 is also open just has the (under supervision ) in brackets on it. Why would I be any less muzzle aware as its a centrefire :rolleyes:

"Yes I only pay attention to the direction the gun is pointing and the safety there of when I using my rimfires!" :cry:

Last edited:
I was a named mentor for a stalking friend yet several years later he got himself in trouble and the police came back to me. Never again.

Not allowed to use Mentor Condition any more ( well strongly told not to by the Fire arms working group Chair )

I was a named mentor for a stalking friend yet several years later he got himself in trouble and the police came back to me. Never again.

I'm interested in this as well. I mean, just because you coached someone it doesn't mean they're your responsibility.

I cannot believe we still have mentoring in some areas. Where does it say Mentoring is an option. It is a cop out by the FLD. You are either suitable or you are not, there is no middle ground.

Back