Thread: Goose Flights...........Solway area.

Goose Flights...........Solway area.

Hi everyone........

I am looking to arrange two days goose shooting in and around the Solway for three guns.
    Can anyone on the forum recommend a good guide at reasonable cost?

Davy Campbell at cheers Rich

Cheers Rich......................any more recommendations anyone?

Well there's our own (on here) Mark, MJ Robson

Mal Kempson

I arranged a week on the solway a few years ago. The company was called wild tides and the guide was called Gavin.
    I would deffinately advice you to avoid using them as we had an absolutely awful week and one of our team packed up and came home 3 days early after falling out with Gavin.

I really wouldn't bother. I shoot the solway every year and it just gets worse every year:

-Favourable areas over populated - nowerdays it seems the Scots are in the minority. There's alot of anti English/others now from the more vocal numpties.
    -Too many supposed guides who haven't a clue and are generally adding to their monthly benefits cheque
    -Irate farmers and residents who have had enough of people blocking their access, parking cars all over their property and leaving their ***** everywhere
    -Idiots hammering away at geese way out of range and thereby educating them to stay up - 100yds shots are common
    -Stupid arguments resulting in cars being vandalised, slanging matches and the occassional punch-ups

I enjoy the fowling on the Forth and further north much more these days. The solway just isn't worth it.

Ezzy.....always good to know..........I shall avoid.

Hi Euan
    Five of us went up just before Christmas last year we stayed at the Nith hotel just outside Dumfriess they have their own guide, Gordon, three nights b+b and evening meal 2x morning goose flight 2 x evening duck flight, 1 x evening goose flight and 2 days walked up with the odd mini drive. The bag was 27 geese,22 pheasant 5 mallard 6 teal 5 woodcock 6 snipe 2 hares which the hotel chef wanted and a massive dog fox.You have to be staying at the hotel it cost us about 400 each but we had a superb trip and we have booked again this year and i would reccommend it

Cheers Geordie,
    That sounds like what we are after. We have never shot geese before and would like to give it a bash............sounds good.
    I shall give them a bell.