Thread: Do Red /Sika Hybrids Roar or Whistle?

Do Red /Sika Hybrids Roar or Whistle?

I must admit up untill this year I had only seen one hybrid on my land. That was a dead Stag that someone had shot from the road which I found lying behind the deer fence all bloated and stinking. This year one has appeared and is certainly a real mixture to look at. From the rear he looks like a Red but from the front he is a definite Hybrid. He has the "frown" of the Sika and the typical 8 point form but with massivly long and thick trey tines. When Lee6.5 was up he saw him head to head with a Red which he was pushing up a slight hill. The face is longer than a Sika but the body has that prop-forward tendancy.
    When I took Lee6.5 out to the area he is in we both heard the usual long drawn out whistling squeal of a mature Sika but was it him? Maybe some of you lads in Ireland where hybrids seem more commen can tell me if you have seen them make a noise and what it is.
    I have often seen Sika in the act of calling and even now am amazed at the sound that emerges.

Thanks David

I think it depends which testicle you crush
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    I think it depends which testicle you crush
    Yes that reply to a serious question deserves a kick in the nuts!!!

you have already answered your own question. The dead one you found was HUMMING

Hi David. Coming from mid argyll where we have plenty of red and sika I've seen a fair few hybrids. I never heard a difference in roaring or whistling but having spoken to a few stalkers from down kintyre who say the hybrids sound like a mix of the two, quite like the noise a donkey makes.

roar ,but not a pure red roar .all the hybrids in wicklow have been around from lord powerscourt time and have a lot of sika in them ,more recent hybrids will sound more red like i would think.. i have also seen sika like animals start with a whistle and go into a roar at the end .

at the end of the day it bepends if the client is looking for a sika or hybrid

Thanks Irishgun. Thats interesting. Maybe its because the hybrids here then go on to mate with Reds rather than Sika as the Reds are in far larger numbers I have always thought the Red gene to give the most dominant phenotype (what it looks like ) . The next generation of a hybrid back to a Red would appear to be just a Red. As I think the Sika call to be an amazing sound which does alter subtly as the rut progresses and with the maturity of the animal I await with interest to actually see a hybrid call. David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10255.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	2891 one from the hills of wicklow ... i cried when i seen the size of him ...

That is truly some deer Irishgun. Some pure Sika in Newzealand attain near to that size but mine with their Formosan genes can never get this big. David