Thread: An ingenious solution to a non-existent problem?

An ingenious solution to a non-existent problem?

Anyone seen the article in Shooting Times this week? Why invent a 'new' 6.5 mm? A lot of work for nothing that a 6.5x55 can't do. Steep shoulder on the round equates to high throat/lead wear if you bang big loads down it. Thoughts?

He has done what he set out to do, made himself more known and probably made a few bob as well and the magazine filled a few pages too!

there are weekly new rounds. some perform well some less so, i agree to a degree with the above post, i wonder what the need is we have 6.5 x 55, 260 rem, 6.5 x 284 already.

The 6.5x68 RWS is better than them all and was developed by Schuler in
    1938 .
    Shoulder angle is very mild.

It's human nature i suppose - we'll forever wonder, 'what if' and try to squeeze more potential out of our rounds.

I have no doubt that each and every calibre i have and presently own is more capable than i, yet i am forever tempted by another.

i've have owned 6mmBR, 6.5x55 swiss, 6.5 grendel (straight pull rifle) and am currently experimenting with 7.5x55 (straight pull again) and considering 6.8mm SPC.

I think you have to consider that the load was developed for a short barreled (18") rifle. When you actually look at the ballistics for the round I doubt whether any of the standard 6.5s could produce such results this round did. That said its an awful lot of work to produce the case let alone work up the loads. You can do pretty much the same thing with a .308 and lightish bullets.

I am certainly no ballistics expert but if Joseph Whitworth hadn't taken the 1853 pattern Enfiled in hand to produce the Whitworth rifle, today we might stilll be talking about grouping 3 shots somewhere on the side of Fallow Buck at 100 yards and think that was ok! I bet some people laughed at him for trying something new as well.

Of course, there was also Gorbly. He invented a new wheel. In many ways Gorbly's wheel was excellent. unfortunately however, his wheel was triangular!