Is any one reloading for a 300 win mag (or other mag round)

swede

If you are, do you use magnum primers, or just the standard Large rifle ones.

I know they say magnum primers are better in cold weather, and will be better at igniting a larger powder column.

Is there a critical point (grains of powder wise) where the large rifle primmers struggle to ignite properley .? and you start getting hang fires etc.

Many thanks

Swede

Hi Swede, i was made aware of the hang fire fact, So i started using Fed Gold Match Magnum , speaking to the chaps at Norman Clarke was very helpful, giving me the reason why you could have a hang fire. Loaded some ammo to test with the F.G.M.M primers. Happy day,s But the strange thing was 2 out 5 of my old batch hung fired. Get on them, but dont forget to drop you powder a bit :thumb:

It's a strange thing but yes in the 300 Wun Mag I did find that a lot of loads required the magnum primers. I also found the tub of Reloader 19 I have nearly through now requires their use in my 25-06 to avoid the hang fires but in the .270 the std primers are fine. Same box of primers and same tub of powder so :confused: This is only what I noticed when playing with loads in the rifles earlier this year.

I have not had the .300 Win Mag for some years now as it went in a trade and I do miss it at times a it was a nice rifle.

I shoot "variations" of the 7mm WSM, I use RL25, CCI BR primers are used in this - no hang fires - barrel on 800+ rounds.

I also shoot 338 LM, H1000, RL25 depending on which bullet I use - Fed Magnum primers - but I am igniting nearly 100 grains of powder:lol:

7mm WSM, groups got a little raggedy when on magnum primers, nice & tight now on cci large rifle primers. Viht powders / Ramshot powders, 162 grain bullet.

All, thanks for your replies, it is interesting to see how some load data says use one primer, and another source says use another. I guess i will have a play with both types and see what works,

Thanks again

Swede. I use magnum primers only with 180 grain nosler particion and 71 grains of Vhit 160, I've found this works great on my remmy 700 300 wm for mid range hunting at 75-150 yards.

Atb

Sean

Swede i use cci mag primers to ignite 94gns of reloader 25 with 180 accubonds in my magnum, very accurate no hangfires , DF

Hi Swede, i was made aware of the hang fire fact, So i started using Fed Gold Match Magnum , speaking to the chaps at Norman Clarke was very helpful, giving me the reason why you could have a hang fire. Loaded some ammo to test with the F.G.M.M primers. Happy day,s But the strange thing was 2 out 5 of my old batch hung fired. Get on them, but dont forget to drop you powder a bit :thumb:

plus 1 with boyd !

Back