Swarovski 2.5-10x56 vs Swarovski Z6 2-12x50?

TASR12

All,

I'm looking at upgrading my Swarovski 6x42 on my .270 and just wondering if anyone could advise me on the relative merits of the above 2 scopes as I'm abroad and can't compare in person. Basically will there be much difference in light transmission between the 50 and 56?
I was looking for an illuminated reticle but nothing seems to be available at the moment within my price range and the above two are currently advertised.
Thanks is advance,
T.

Last edited:
Can anyone help?

All,

I'm looking at upgrading my Swarovski 6x42 on my .270 and just wondering if anyone could advise me on the relative merits of the above 2 scopes as I'm abroad and can't compare in person. Basically will there be much difference in light transmission between the 50 and 56?
I was looking for an illuminated reticle but nothing seems to be available at the moment within my price range and the above two are currently advertised.
Thanks is advance,
T.

Hi TASR12, i was in the exact same position as you of upgrading my Swarovski 6x42 and opted for the Z6 2-12X50 and honestly after giving it a real good trial i have to say that i cannot fault it and would say without doubt it is the best scope i have had.

Cheers Wirehair. I suppose in the ideal world I would like an illuminated reticle. Some decisions need to be made sooner or later, tricky!

Last edited:
Do you mean have I looked at the classifieds?
Did you ever consider an illuminated Ret or compare the standard Swaro against the Z6?

Last edited:
I've looked at this one for a while in my local Z6i 2-12x50 BT SR - especially like the Ballistic Turret for everyday hunting - Zero your rifle to 150 yds, then set one colour to 200 yds, one to 250 yds, and one to 300 yds - and as long as your ranging skills are pretty well honed, you've got a dead hold within seconds, whatever the distance - easy :)

Ps. please note that I do not advocate shooting at animals over 150 yds if can be avoided; however, if stalking on flat fields or in the highlands, +200 yds is not uncommon, and the BT means you just have to accomodate a bit for wind, and not worry about holdover as well.

I think Swarovskis are seriously overpriced. You can have Zeiss Victory illuminated 3-12x56 for around £1000-1100. If you really need Swaro go for older PV series before they are all gone and you have to pay twice the price for the same stuff renamed to Z4.

Greg

For the guys with the Z6's, how do the reticules hold up in low light? I have a Z6i which is excellent, but ret would be useless in low light if it was not illuminated.

As far as I cah see, the Z4i's are PH's with Z6 glass, which might be a very good thing. I have not managed to get my mits on one yet.

I think Swarovskis are seriously overpriced. You can have Zeiss Victory illuminated 3-12x56 for around £1000-1100. If you really need Swaro go for older PV series before they are all gone and you have to pay twice the price for the same stuff renamed to Z4.

Greg

Greg where have you seen Zeiss for that price? The best I have found is a Zeiss Classic 2.5-10x50T*IR for £1079 but presume the glass on a Classic is lower quality than Victory. Having trawled the forum the impression I got was Swarovski come out on top quality wise although I acknowledge there is probably very little in it.

Regarding Claret Dabblers question I am intrigued to hear the answer, as I don't know if i'm selling myself short not waiting to find an illuminated reticle?

Last edited:
Greg where have you seen Zeiss for that price? The best I have found is a Zeiss Classic 2.5-10x50T*IR for £1079 but presume the glass on a Classic is lower quality than Victory. Having trawled the forum the impression I got was Swarovski come out on top quality wise although I acknowledge there is probably very little in it.

Regarding Claret Dabblers question I am intrigued to hear the answer, as I don't know if i'm selling myself short not waiting to find an illuminated reticle?

I had a look and could find the illuminated diavari for £1099 http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/766/103456/zeiss-classic-diavari-3-12x56-t-ir-rifle-scope/
Victory scopes are a bit more expensive but I am pretty sure I have seen more attractive price than this one. Uttings do have better prices every now and again and send off emails with discounts up to 20% each weekend if you join their mailing list.

I have nothing against Swarovski and their older PV series scopes, but would not pay £2k for the Z6i. Would buy two from Zeiss instead :) There are 7x50 IR scopes for £560... just wish I had any spare cash..

ATB

Greg

Thanks for your time. Interesting ref. the Swarovskis and I guess until I can see in person regarding illuminated vs non illuminated on the Z6's I will remain none the wiser. I was hoping to sort something out for my return to the UK in 10 days and the start of the hinds but may have to wait.
That 7x50 is tempting and being one inch would save me having to change rings.....

There are no flies on a 7x50 for stalking.

IanF made me promise I would not change anything on the rifle he got me when I first started out, a Tikka with a non-illuminated meopta 7x50, until I had hunted with it for a year or two.

He knew what he was doing though as I have not really felt the need to change the scope.

It looses perhaps 5 minutes to the top, top makes and has done me so far for everything in the UK and quite a few beasties in Africa.

If may, why do you want a variable?

I think it's more a case of investing in a scope that I can have for years and for every eventuality, but a valid point regarding the 7x50. To be honest the Swarovski 6x42 my .270 came with is a great scope but I always said to myself that the scope would be the first thing I would upgrade, within reason.

Hi Tasr12,

I have the Z6I 2.5 - 15 X 56 BT. Purchased from Cluney stores a number of months back.

Having spent the money ( I ummed and arred for ages due to cost) I can safely say it's an amazing bit of kit.

I've got a smaller Swaro on my .243 without the illuminated reticule and whilst light transmission is fantastic I now like the illuminated reticule when the light starts to dwindle early in the woods. I've fitted it to my .270 and look forward to taking it for a walk on the hill in late Jan.

An additional bonus is the night time use on different Quarry and I've booked some Boar shooting later this month where the 56 objective lense and illuminated reticule will come into their own I hope.

What the scope gives you is versitility in one scope that should cover everything you need.

Good luck in making your decision

Robbo25

I'm sending my Habicht A 4--12 x 50 back for repairs, whilst speaking to them I enquired about changing reticles out while it's in bits, answere was yes, for £150.00.......... so I will have the ranging reticle fitted if possible cross hair with three bars under.

Back