Thread: Oiling the Bolt Lug(s)

Oiling the Bolt Lug(s)

when you guys oil your bolt..lugs! do you use a light clear oil, or would you go as far as to use a thick oil such as the Bisley Gun Grease?

Lighlty oil with a small smear of thin oil, & THEN WIPE OFF WITH A CLOTH, too much oil in this area can migrate, giving pressure spikes.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I am not a fan of oil at all on the bolt lugs, oil floats on water. I would use moly grease and wipe it off with a cloth.

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Grease is the only way to go!!! steer clear of oil in my opinion if you don't use it very lightly.

Moly grease as mentioned is a good call.

No Bisley Gun Grease then? just asking cuz I have it in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    No Bisley Gun Grease then? just asking cuz I have it in stock.
    BGG is a moly grease, I think. I put a wee dab of it on the bearing surfaces of my bolt lugs.

A wipe down with an oily rag is enough.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Agreed. Wipe with an oily cloth and then wipe dry. Oil only needs to be microns thick... this is a barely tangible amount.~Muir

I use a product called “dry-lube”, it comes in a spray can and is Molybdenum disulfide based product, because it leaves no sticky film on the bolt it does not attract dirt etc. One down side is that it leaves a grey colour on your bolt lugs, no problem other than aesthetics.

A wipe with an oily rag is all i do too,i would be a bit concerned about using any kind of grease as it will build up in the recesses and attract dirt, alright if you clean the recesses more often i guess but why make work for yourself.