A few pics from the first few days of our moose hunt

Jonher

Hi all,

Below are some pics from the first fews days of our moose hunt in Norway. I apologise for the quality, they are taken with my mobile phone.

The quota for our terrain is 13 animals, after four days we have managed to get four animals, two adult bulls and two 1.5 year old bulls.

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

Last edited:
I would not like to drag a beast of that size off the hill , looks like you have some serious kit to handle the them .

Last edited:
Me and duncan just returned from norway also but alas we did not even see a moose alive but did see some in the larder . We did have some very close acording to the gps on the dog but none appeared into view . On the last night one was wounded and all hunting had to stop as you are not aloud to carry on after dark you must inform the goverment one is woumded and see if a licenced tracker is availiable as only they can track after dark . We had a tracker in our party but his tracking dog was 2 hours away in oslo so. we had to wait till next morning for him to return but alas we had to leave and still dont know the outcome of the moose . It was absolutely brilliant the antisipation as they were saying on the radio one was coming but they never got to us on numerous occasions three did cross the road near duncan and were shot on next doors beat as they could see our dogs working and possitioned them selves in case they went onto there side of the road but thats life. the big black wood peckers were everywhere capercaily and black cock were also seen in most drives we did see the skulls of 2 bears shot on our hunting area last year in all it was really good and the company was first class and we hope to be back next year we would have stayed longer but the wounded one stopped all hunting untill it was found so we came home . when you see what they are shooting at them its an eye opener 9.3 62 and the bullet 283 grains i have 3 taken out of ones shot before we arived never went through were picked up on the oposite side of bullet strike they make our rifle look like pea shooters maybe next time i hope so duncan has some pictures he will post later he said muddy

Thanks for the replies

I would not like to drag a beast of that size off the hill , looks like you have some serious kit to handle the them .

We have what is called an 'elgtrak' which is basically a motorised trailer which has caterpillar tracks to get through the most difficult of terrains and conditions, it also has a winch attached so the animals can be pulled directly into the trailer. For areas where the elgtrek can't go we have a big plastic sled which we can put the animal in and then use a portable winch attached to trees to pull it into a better area. The adult animals in the pics are not particularly large, in our area they do go above 250kg.

Muddy, it's a shame you never got to see or take an animal, where abouts in Norway were you hunting?

As for caliber, I'm using 6.5x55 with a 155 grain Lapua Mega

I'll post more pics as the hunt progresses

working over in Norway just now and guy im working with, hes takes a couple every year or so off of his farm / ground up in the mountains...not sure where about.

i was lokking at his pictures and asked how the hell they get them off of the hill...and he said.....

chopper!!!!!!

apparently guy down the mountain has a chopper and works for a hydro electric company or such like and they slip him some of the meat once butchered and they with a couple o radios rope em up and get off of the hill!!!!!:eek:

they slpit the carcasses between neighbours and fill theri freezers for another wee while

sauer

It's supposed to be lovely meat, Moose, unfortunately never got to try it. I was supposed to be going on a Moose hunt in Northern Ontario but there were only two of us, we only had a calf tag and eventually the thought of a 20 hour drive, 2 days ferrying bits to set up tent with wood-burning stove and then the hassles of extraction (in the probably unlikely event of actually shooting one) put a stop to it. I suppose it would have been an experience! Just like trying to drive White-tail deer to a line of guns using dogs :eek:. No wonder people get shot!

Hi Johner, did you get a shot??? I was out last weekend,exactly same bag as you,i saw 2 on sat morning but they where to far out for a shot and where heading in the direction of the next post, although he never saw them...
Was a shame after a glorious week the weather turned to poo at the weekend....

Nell

Nice one Jonher, Our season starts on Monday but we will hunt on the 21st. Plenty about this year. Saw a cow on friday evening, well the dog winded it before i saw it.

Hi Johner, did you get a shot??? I was out last weekend,exactly same bag as you,i saw 2 on sat morning but they where to far out for a shot and where heading in the direction of the next post, although he never saw them...
Was a shame after a glorious week the weather turned to poo at the weekend....

Nell

Hi Nell,

Unfortunately haven't had the chance of a shot yet, but there is still time :D Our season started on the 5th October, we've only had one day of rain so far and the good weather looks like it will be around for at least another week.

Nice one Jonher, Our season starts on Monday but we will hunt on the 21st. Plenty about this year. Saw a cow on friday evening, well the dog winded it before i saw it.

Good look Jagare, post up some pics and let us know how you get on.

I'm back out tomorrow and for the rest of the week, so I'll post up some pics if they're any developments.

Last edited:
we were hunting about 2 hours north west of oslo haven't got a clue were it was i was fascinated by the scenery i know we went under a dig tunnel that was a toll and were only about 12 klm from the snow line as you could see it in the distance to the west and to the north we heard this morning they did not find the moose that was lost but were hunting fri sat sun this week and have shot a knobber only up to now . Most people they say are not doing as well as other years word on the street is but they dont know why MUDDY

I'm off to shoot with some Swedish friends in southern Sweden on Thursday, spending the weekend shooting some of the very numerous wild boar and then trying for a moose on Monday and Tuesday. Having seen your pictures, I'm getting very excited now. I'm taking the .270 with 156gn partition bullets and the .300WM with 220gn partition bullets - the former for running game and the latter for stalking.

It's been a hassle getting all of the paperwork sorted, as the Swedish Police Authority have brought in a new set of documents to be completed by the host and the hunter, so that took a bit of co-ordination. Thank God for the truly brilliant and endlessly patient Anne Kleredal at Arlanda Police! We're flying SAS this time, who seemed very laid back about the rifles, so that should be OK.

I'll post next week, hopefully with pictures of boar, moose and happy hunters...

Adam.

We landed at oslo rifles came round on the carasel no problems at all we had to send our firearms cert and level 2 cert along with eu firearms ticket to our contacts over there when we arrived all paper work waiting norwegan hunting licence gun licence brilliant . a country that understands hunting and its value to the econamy obviosly, not many tree huggers over there but the amount of trees you would need a lot of huggers .We did have a piece of paper with the phone numbers of goverment trackers if any animals were lost to ring as part of the hunting licence conditions . Cant wait to get back over there again company brilliant as was the scenery and other wild life you see while waiting for a moose to apear MUDDY

Shame you didn't get anything John but sometimes it is more about the company and the place and the experience as a whole, Iknow that Dunc loved the country from his last trip so sure he was in his element, I tried to call and see how you got on but couldn't catch up last week
Adam have a great trip mate well green with envy, I have seen those Swedish mooses at the side of the road blinkin massive, I'm over in Germany this week hope to get a chance of a boar but not arranged yet for sure having to wing it a bit this time.

We landed at oslo rifles came round on the carasel no problems at all we had to send our firearms cert and level 2 cert along with eu firearms ticket to our contacts over there when we arrived all paper work waiting norwegan hunting licence gun licence brilliant . a country that understands hunting and its value to the econamy obviosly, not many tree huggers over there but the amount of trees you would need a lot of huggers .We did have a piece of paper with the phone numbers of goverment trackers if any animals were lost to ring as part of the hunting licence conditions . Cant wait to get back over there again company brilliant as was the scenery and other wild life you see while waiting for a moose to apear MUDDY

Hi Muddy,just out of interest, did you have to take the skyteprove(shooting test)???

Im working over here at the moment and had to go to the local range and fire 30 shots, (not in one session)before i could take the test, not sure how practicle this would be for hunters comming for a short spell..

Nell

Hi Muddy

Ducan give me the run down on your trip at the weekend, it was very intresting sorry you both didn’t have any luck.

ATB

Tahr

Back