Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Sika Stag

Scottish Sika Stag

Out on Monday in the beautiful Scottish Borders in pursuit of the elusive sika stag.Set off stalking just after first light , a bit chilly and a stiff breeze.

As I meandered around the forest track I caught sight of a couple of deer emerging out onto a ride , I dropped to the floor but unfortunately it was a hind and calf. I lay watching them for around 10 mins in case a stag appeared but to no avail.

I then continued and stalked for another couple of hours without seeing anything . I started heading back the way I had come heading for a nice valley and nearly walked right into a stag feeding about 10 yards from me , but he was off

I then proceeded stalking down a nice valley......

I spied a roe doe and kid crossing followed by a fox going up the other side , I dropped to the floor and released a round only to see the fox running away up the bank I thought I had missed but on inspection found the young vixen had expired after a short burst of around 30 yards...

I then stalked to the bottom of the valley and glassed the opposite side spotting a stag and 2 hinds about 500 yards away.

The stalk was on , crossing dead ground quickly and eventually arriving around 180 yards from the stag which was facing broadside at the edge of the trees, No time to waste I placed the crosshairs on the stags neck and fired. The stag was poleaxed on the spot

I was buzzing with elation at having succeeded after a long days stalking , I had been out from 7am til 5 pm.

Great story!, however you didnt mention the drag home....... That looks a heavy stag ??

Well done

Great read fella and quality pics.

Cracking write up and good pics.

Great days stalking mate

Very good, well done mate

Very good result well done, enjoyed the read and pics, nice short drag to the road !!!!!

Sounds like the perfect end to an already eventfull stalk!! Nice one.

Well done mate, you put in the time and got your reward. Very nice

Cracking write up well done. Excellent pictures too.