Thread: New Composite Rifle Stock. SA Howa

New Composite Rifle Stock. SA Howa

As a few of you might know Iíve been busy trying to find a better way of producing a composite rifle stock.

Two years ago I was shopping around for a composite stock for my Sako, but after having a close look at some at the IWA in Nuremberg I lost interest. The composite stocks that I had seen where constructed with a strong outer layer and filled with structural foam or other low strength fillers. The outer layer was then milled away in the action area and the barrel channel. In that case the rifle would be sitting on weaker composite filler materials which then obviously need to be pillar bedded.
    Iíve always enjoyed playing around with composite materials and my sons now join in on projects. We made a decision to invest a bit and make our own stock.
    Modern composites have great advantages but need to be used right, so our goal was to make a stock that does not need to be milled out. Additionally we wanted to make sure to have an ultra stiff platform which transfers recoil from the action directly into the mass of stock. Thirdly it was important that the stock becomes extremely torsion and bend stiff. This can be done by using high modulus carbon fibres in some areas and glass in others.
    We chose to start with a Howa short action hunter-varmint style stock. Itís always challenging trying to shape a stock to be equally comfortable off the shoulder and in the prone position. We stuck the prototype on my 22-250 several times to see if it is comfortable or if niggles could be detected.
    A southpaw friend was a great help showing the problem zones in left-hand use so that we could correct as good as possible.

Now finally a half year later the first stocks are rolling out. We are very happy with the results so far, weight is as planned 800-900grams. The future might show an ultra light version, possibly under 500grams.

Layer of Kevlar should make pillar bedding unnecessary.

Plenty room for either heavy or as in this case sporter barrel weight.

Having handled one of Ediís stocks let me say they are stiffer than any thing else I have seen, that includes my own Bell and Carlson which has an aluminium chassis.

He does seem to taking composite stocks to the next level IMO.

Best rgds

Thanks Thar

quickly checked zero this afternoon with the new stock.
    Stock was not bedded, rifle is a 22-250 factory Howa tuned by Roedale.
    a-tec mod.

AFAIK Manners composite stocks mould the action cutout into the stock too...

How do you make the stocks, is it a case of moulding the outsides and then joining them together to make a solid stock?

Are you planning to set up shop, it'd be nice to have a stock manufacturer based in the UK, instead of having to buy from across the pond!

Mat, all the manners stocks I have seen have a vertical mould split and need to be milled out, like you see on their website.
    I've never seen a wildog stock before and therefore have no idea how they are made.
    We thought long and hard how a stock should be made. Our method is not to save costs , it's what we thought is just about ideal.
    Fibers should be directed 3-d just the way the stress is induced.
    We save costs by not needing to mill, but it takes very long to lay up a stock.
    We have not set up any shop yet, but if people are interested we will.
    at least on a small scale . bit by bit.

Spent the weekend in the workshop and tried out the american duracoat paint for the stocks. I'm chuffed with the result. The paint is nice and grippy and very matt. My first try was in tactical black and tactical green.