lightweight stalking Rifle in .243

Overlay

Hi Guys

Have decided to get a new rifle in .243 (a decent one )

Have looked around and the possibilities are seemingly endless, have had some reports about one or two that may have inherent faults.

RPA and Sauer are two possibles anyone have any preference and I would like a lightweight rifle the RPA is a little on the heavy side, but if the shoe fits ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Phil

Hi Guys

Have decided to get a new rifle in .243 (a decent one )

Have looked around and the possibilities are seemingly endless, have had some reports about one or two that may have inherent faults.

RPA and Sauer are two possibles anyone have any preference and I would like a lightweight rifle the RPA is a little on the heavy side, but if the shoe fits ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Phil

RPA and lightweight can never be used in the same post! Have you thought about a Sako Finnlight? JC

This is my "light" doe rifle (one in the front) started as a Remmy sps 243 stainless.
These are fairly light to start with. I shortened the barrel to 20", carbon bedded the rifle
with a carbon fiber stock 670 grams and added a delta light moderator 275 grams.
The aluminium moderator has the first two baffles in stainless as I tend to shoot this
rifle quite a lot. I found the remmy did not feed well from the drop plate mag system,
and therefore replaced it with an aftermarket mag system which cured that problem.
This rifle shot 1" groups recently, at 300m.
edi
DSCN5028.jpg

i had the sauer 202 classic synthetic with aluminum reciever etc in 25-06 and it was as light as hell unbleiveably so!!!!

only concern was i since sold it and heard the guy who bought it at some stage had to have scope mounts hole in top re-threaded due to stripping .

i would have the same again but with steel reciever etc and it should still be alight rifle...

brilliant rifles too

sauer

I have the Sako 75 Hunter in .243, with a nice wooden oil finish stock, it's quite light, shoots like an absolute dream, and looks very classy ( not that I don't like synthetic stocks, but some rifles nowadays look like the sh*t the yanks shoot deer with at 800 yards, or something you bring to war!)...I like it nice and classy and simple,,,and quality ;)

I was looking for the lightest stalking rifle I could find and settled on Browning A-Bolt titanium, the trouble was it took me 2 years to find one at the right price. It weighs 1lb less than a Finnlight but runs a 22” barrel.

P1010233-1.jpg

That said you will be lucky to find one, and a new one will not leave you much change out of £2,000 in the UK. The 75 Sako Finnlight is one of the best lightweight rifles out there, a modern classic IMO.

ATB

Tahr

Tikka t3 in.243 are very light. I have a stainless laminate which weighs 3.1 kg but the lite, lite stainless and camo stainless weigh in at only 2.7kg which is about the same as the finnlight. Mod wise, I have an atec cm4 mod on and it only adds 220g weight along with an s&b 8x56 a very light rifle.

Last edited:
Depends on what you call light??

Now I was shown a Kimber 84m today in .243 and it weighs 5lbs or so they claim. It certainly felt light. This one was a stainless/synthetic and to be honest it felt ruddy awful but then i cannot stand plastic stocks.

Forest Lodge Guns of Wragby Lincolnshire was the place I was in 01673-858554.

Sorry I didn't ask the price as I was really not interested however they have them in stock if you want a lightweight rifle.

I use a Steyr Mannlicher Classic half stock in .243. I could have thrown it over the hedge when it wouldn't zero with several different makes of cartridge. I finally settled on RWS T Mantel 100 grain rounds and get three shot groups of under half an inch at 100 yards. I'm happy now. I was told, by so-called experts, that I would NEVER get 100 grain rounds to group through a 1:10 twist barrel.

Last edited:
I had a Sauer 202 that was a very light and 'pointy' rifle, even with the T8 on the end of the barrel.

Also used a synthetic one th eother day and its was the best synthetic stock i have seen

Dan

I use a Steyr Mannlicher Classic half stock in .243. I could have thrown it over the hedge when it wouldn't zero with several different makes of cartridge. I finally settled on RWS T Mantel 100 grain rounds and get three shot groups of under half an inch at 100 yards. I'm happy now. I was told, by so-called experts, that I would NEVER get 100 grain rounds to group through a 1:10 twist barrel.

:cuckoo: experts, smegsperts....that'll explain how I can shoot 100yr 1/4" groups with my sako 75 20" 1:10 and a factory norma 100g SP.

Hi Shoot

I am interested to hear about your 6mm BR being deer legal, I fancy one myself but wasn’t convinced I could get it big deer legal for Scotland without a really long barrel even if I went AI. I have even brought a bolt head and extractor for the BR case.

ATB

Tahr

I use a blaser R93 in 243 and 308 both with 20" barrels and a 30cal ASE jet z mod, very light and easy to use.:)

Back