tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner decisions decisions......

david1976

I am gradually adding to my reloading bits and pieces and it's now time for me to buy some equipment to clean the cases up with as I am far to lazy to polish and clean each one individually by hand inside and out:D

My options from various posts read would appear to be either a tumbler or an ultrasonic cleaner. Could you please let me know of any pro's and con's you have found with either to help me aid my decision.

Cheers

David

p.s. if anyone has a tumbler to sell send me a pm.

ultrasonic cleans inside and out including primer pocket, tumbler will put a polish on the cases (but will block flash hole which is a PITA). I have a few ultrasonics, have owned various for 30+ years, Personally I am happy with ultrasonic and a large tumbler!!!!:)

An ultrasonic cleaner would come in handy for more than just cases. Bolts/dies etc can be cleaned inside and out and household items such as jewelery can also be treated. Tumblers are a little too dedicated to one job.

Cheers,

Ultrasonic I think it will be as it appears to be quicker as well.

Any recommendations as to a particular one?

I saw ones on fleabay & amazon for about the thirty quid mark called ultra 7000 I think they are made by James?

I saw ones on fleabay & amazon for about the thirty quid mark called ultra 7000 I think they are made by James?

Same as the one from Maplins, which I have, works very well if used with Sea Clean which you also get from Maplins.
I recommend you de-prime before cleaning as they primer residue makes a real mess, I use a universal de-priming die or a hand punch, I really don't want dirty cases in my nice clean dies.

Neil. :)

Went for the ultra 7000 cleaner and a bottle of the seaclean stuff.

Bought it from THESE people and got both items and next day delivery for forty quid so im quite happy :)

Comfortably takes 60 .223 cases, without risk of going over the water level mark and still keep all cases submerged.

Neil. :)

So how many C/F cases would one of these hold?

Using .243 cases, if I just drop the cases in side by side and flat I can put all 70 that I have in and they will be submerged.

I ran a 480 second cycle like this with 2 drops of fairy liquid which took the lube off.
Then put them in a plastic beaker type thing on end and filled this up to cover the cases and did another 480 seconds with the seaclean stuff in
result is very shiny brass :D

With the .243 cases standing on end, they would normally stick out the water (not the cleaner lid though) so by putting them in the beaker I can cover them and give them a good clean if that makes sense?

Back