What to do with a deer serial killing neighbour?

User00003

What would you guys do if you had a guy going around all the neighbouring farms, convincing the owners Roe is costing them their trees and crops, and getting permission to shoot anything that moves, in-season and out-of-season.....meaning that the deer population is dropping to near nil around the region, noticably affecting the deer on your (my) grounds too. this is happening around where my shooting grounds are, and this guy is just profiteering from deer killing (I'm talking 120 roe in 3 months over 5,000 acres). another issue is, they are sold, even out of season to butchers, do 'they' not ask questions? what to do, what to do, what to do.....

i would say you need some kind of proof of out of season shooting or ensure that legal calibre being used but defo not the sort of thhing you want anywere near your own permission
scotty

Inform the land owners of the "guys" activities and the fact that they too could end if in hot water if he is shooting deer illegally. That might make them open there eyes and tell him to go forth and prosper!!!

ATB

Hi PKL,
I must have read your post wrong 120 in 3 months and thats what your taking. I wonder how many hes getting.

Dalkur

what I was saying was that this guy in question, has taken around 120 deer over the last 3 months, based on what the neighbouring farmers and land-owners have been told (I guess he can't keep his mouth shut either). I've only taken a couple of deer on my grounds this year, but in normal years, I should have been able to take well in excess of 20.

Ultimately you have two choices. Either live with it or go around all the farms and convince the farmers that you can offer them a better solution than the incumbent. Offer them a share of venison sales, aquire the shooting rights and sub out IF yo can get help from SUITABLE people. You have a few options.

Root of all Evil MONEY!!!!!!!!! If you feel he is wrong Video the guy etc but be 100% sure he is up to no good.

One thing to bear in mind is that to many farmers deer are a pest, every mouthful of his grass they eat is one less for his stock, every ear of wheat nibbled is less profit on the crop. Many small farmers simply cannot afford this.

Also bear in mind that if the deer are engaged in crop damage they may be shot out of season by the landowner or his agent.

Sounds like there is a deer problem that you could have taken on yourself before he did, as stated farmers cant afford to ignore damage, you could have done exactly the same as he has done, have gained permission to control the deer to what you think the level should be, I think you've lost out here, as stated be 100% sure that he's doing either right or wrong, become more proactive, use your reputation from your permission to get further areas of control around your present area, or if he's not doing anything wrong, just shooting a high population around you, you'll have to live with it. deerwarden.

Sounds to me like there could be an element of jealousy there mate?
Most farmers won't need much convincing that Roe are costing them their trees and crops as they will already be aware of that fact! They will also be happy that the population is dropping to near nil around the region for the same reasons, and your rival will maybe even getting a good name for himself among the farming community as an efficient deer manager.
However, if he is operating outside the law then you are right to have concerns. Does he have any out of season permit maybe? Do you have any proof of your claims? Do your local butchers have any idea of seasons? I doubt it!
If you can substantiate your claims, your local authorities should have a wildlife crimes section which would be interested. If not, you may just have to accept the competition and up your own game to suit!
MS:)

what I was saying was that this guy in question, has taken around 120 deer over the last 3 months, based on what the neighbouring farmers and land-owners have been told (I guess he can't keep his mouth shut either). I've only taken a couple of deer on my grounds this year, but in normal years, I should have been able to take well in excess of 20.

120 deer in 91 days including Sundays ?
Crikey, either the guy is a master stalker or you are seriously overstocked with stupid deer !

HWH.

Sounds to me like there could be an element of jealousy there mate?
Most farmers won't need much convincing that Roe are costing them their trees and crops as they will already be aware of that fact! They will also be happy that the population is dropping to near nil around the region for the same reasons, and your rival will maybe even getting a good name for himself among the farming community as an efficient deer manager.
However, if he is operating outside the law then you are right to have concerns. Does he have any out of season permit maybe? Do you have any proof of your claims? Do your local butchers have any idea of seasons? I doubt it!
If you can substantiate your claims, your local authorities should have a wildlife crimes section which would be interested. If not, you may just have to accept the competition and up your own game to suit!

Hi MS, it may well be that the local butchers have no idea about the deer seasons, but with the poster being in Scotland I'm sure they know whether or not they are licensed venison dealers. Am I right in thinking that in Scotland you have to be a licensed venison dealer in order to accept a deer carcase for processing into the food chain?

If he has an out of season licence there is no problem if you can kill that many Roe deer then there are to many way to many. His lamp must be on fire :rofl:

120 deer in 91 days including Sundays ?
Crikey, either the guy is a master stalker or you are seriously overstocked with stupid deer !

HWH.

If he has an out of season licence there is no problem if you can kill that many Roe deer then there are to many way to many. His lamp must be on fire :rofl:

Just maybe it's time you got off here and went out stalking, you just might have had some of those deer your talking about .

Stag 1933 that's not a lot of deer if there showing ,and your in the right area , you just have to look at some of the pictures that 6 pointer has put up on here to see some of the small herds of roe in central Scotland .

6 pointer the out of season ticket is not held by the stalker ,it's the land owner, the stalker is named on it as his employee, it is not transferable where ever you go stalking, only on the land that it is named for .

If this person is shooting as many deer as you state, and he is as you say asking the landowners he can shoot what he likes as he has there permission to do so ,what's the problem in that ,on some of the farms and lands I shoot over there are other stalkers, shooters , I most certainly don't have a problem with it in fact I'm not interested in them at all, I know I produce results when required, that's what counts and why I get the phone calls .

Just maybe that why he's getting the shooting because of his results never think of that .

Hi MS, it may well be that the local butchers have no idea about the deer seasons, but with the poster being in Scotland I'm sure they know whether or not they are licensed venison dealers. Am I right in thinking that in Scotland you have to be a licensed venison dealer in order to accept a deer carcase for processing into the food chain?

Correct

Just maybe it's time you got off here and went out stalking, you just might have had some of those deer your talking about .

Stag 1933 that's not a lot of deer if there showing ,and your in the right area , you just have to look at some of the pictures that 6 pointer has put up on here to see some of the small herds of roe in central Scotland .

6 pointer the out of season ticket is not held by the stalker ,it's the land owner, the stalker is named on it as his employee, it is not transferable where ever you go stalking, only on the land that it is named for .

If this person is shooting as many deer as you state, and he is as you say asking the landowners he can shoot what he likes as he has there permission to do so ,what's the problem in that ,on some of the farms and lands I shoot over there are other stalkers, shooters , I most certainly don't have a problem with it in fact I'm not interested in them at all, I know I produce results when required, that's what counts and why I get the phone calls .

Just maybe that why he's getting the shooting because of his results never think of that .

Telling it like it is.

So.... (in a strong Jock accent), 'there's been a murder'! :lol:Judging by some of the replies, your competition could well be on here!:-|
I'd agree that that many is achievable in the winter months, but I reckon it would be a struggle over the last 3 months, ie, the summer! Probably an element of false accounting there also, but it appears to be working for him if he is getting all the action. I doubt he will show you his cull records either!!:rolleyes:
Very difficult to prove either way. If he is a 'wrong-un' though as you suggest, his actions will undoubtedly turn around and bite his ass eventually. If you have noticed, others will have too!;) You may then be well placed to take over where he left off.

I am sure if he is FnC he can shoot on enclosed land with out asking for an out of season. We had a problem like this in my area the chap went out and shot most of the roe deer over the winter months most of the locals were up in arms the poachers even aproached me asking if i knew who it was. I said i did and they should be happy because i have now moved on to some were else. :rofl:

Back