Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragging Technique

Dragging Technique

How do you do it? Grab a back leg and start walking? Harness of some description? Simple rope around the head or head/front legs?

Hi Gabe, you know it is by the head or front legs don't you because any other way would be putting anything from the ground up into the pellage - never drag against the grain

Quote Originally Posted by Boghossian View Post
    How do you do it? Grab a back leg and start walking? Harness of some description? Simple rope around the head or head/front legs?
    On very steep ground I have been instructed to drag by the hind leg to slow the descent.
    I never use a harness as I never want to be attached to the beast.
    Normally use a rope round the neck and half hitch round the jaw.
    On very steep ground, I have on rare occasions tied a second beast to the hind leg of the first beast and then a third beast to the second beast.
    Have seen a sika hind dragged with its legs crossed over the back of its neck.
    Best approach is to phone the deaf Argocat driver and hope he understands where I am. This usually works unless he gets stuck or breaks down.

Rgds JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 11-10-2010 at 15:17. Reason: more info.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Best approach is to phone the deaf Argocat driver and hope he understands where I am. This usually works unless he gets stuck or breaks down.
    Are all Argocat drivers deaf or do you know the same one as me? (DT)
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Roe sack for roe/muntjac, deer box/sled with a rope and harness for fallow. Never done anything else!

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Hi Gabe, you know it is by the head or front legs don't you because any other way would be putting anything from the ground up into the pellage - never drag against the grain
    Hi mate, I am a rope man myself but you'd be surprised at the amount of experienced lads that choose to drag hinds using the hind legs. Seems a bit counterintuitive if you ask me.

Walk back to the vehicle, farm yard or whatever, collect a quad, tractor as available, drive back to the carcass, proceed like a sensible person....

I can carry a smallish Sika hind or Fallow doe in a large roe sack. I find this to be easier than dragging. I refused a shot on a large Fallow buck a few weeks ago as I could not picture how I was going get the bugger back to the landrover.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Walk back to the vehicle, farm yard or whatever, collect a quad, tractor as available, drive back to the carcass, proceed like a sensible person....

I can carry a smallish Sika hind or Fallow doe in a large roe sack. I find this to be easier than dragging. I refused a shot on a large Fallow buck a few weeks ago as I could not picture how I was going get the bugger back to the landrover.
    Now there is a man with style. The last buck I manhandled over any distance was a rabbit , did the good Lord mean me to drag then he would not have me buy a quad
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

..couldn't even begin thinking of dragging a fully grown red. For roe I use a roe sack, which will take around 2 deer at a time,,,,then it starts getting heavy!

..love the Argo,,,great fun to drive, s*cks to sit in the back with 5 reds though when your driver is going 20 mph in the dark over 60 degree highland slopes

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    On very steep ground I have been instructed to drag by the hind leg to slow the descent.
    I never use a harness as I never want to be attached to the beast.
    Normally use a rope round the neck and half hitch round the jaw.
    On very steep ground, I have on rare occasions tied a second beast to the hind leg of the first beast and then a third beast to the second beast.
    Have seen a sika hind dragged with its legs crossed over the back of its neck.

Rgds JCS
    JC, don't you find that uncomfortable?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!