Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sika Help Please

Sika Help Please

Does anyone have any recipes or advice for cooking Sika please. I was lucky enough to get a road kill stag the other week ( he died as I was there, the meat wasnt tainted at all ). I did try a wee piece the other night, tasted good but quite tough. Maybe a recipe for a stew or something or a pot roast?

Thank you

never had the fortune to have sika myself but cant see any reason why you wouldnt treat same as any other venison for slow cooker or casserole...

brown meat off in a frying pan the put into slow cooker with some veg of your choice.... carrots turnips...whatever... and season with whatever...i just use salt pepper and couple o shakes of various dried herbs from Tescos or the know the little jars.

cover with some chicken or veg or meat stock and leave for bout 4 hours....

if the stock\ casserole is bit runny when done just add either wee bit o corn flour and stir to thicken or thump in bit o bisto gravy granules and couple o shakes of hp brown thickens and the hp sauce has its own blend o herbs etc too.

if you want...maybe an hour before end of cooking throw in a good glass of red wine

half the fun is experimenting and dont get hung up with "x -amount " of grams of this and y-amount of ml of this....

i just open cupboard see what jjumps out at me and throw a bit in

Thanks for that..reckon my problem is I didnt cook for long enough

I get quite a bit of sika. Brown it off in frying pan. Put in a large casserole dish, cover with foil to let it breathe but not dry. pop in the oven at 120 for two -three hours depending on size, ring with onion and potatoes then turn up heat. Turn up to 180/200 for another hour and serve. Cant be beaten. All venison is best cooked slow.

My Sunday roast, We pop it in the oven, go to church, come home put in the vege, turn it up for the next hour, do other veges, dinner sorted.
    Last edited by jimbo123p; 16-10-2010 at 11:37.

You need........

2lb of venison (a piece cut from the shoulder blade, saddle, or haunch of venison)
    1 teaspoon of salt
    teaspoon of pepper (ground from mill)
    1 bayleaf crushed or cut into small pieces
    teaspoon of rosemary
    - pint of milk
    lb pickled pork belly
    1oz plain flour
    1 teaspoon of paprika pepper
    About 1 tablespoon of salad oil
    1 oz butter
    2 large onions finely sliced
    1 pint jellied stock
    2 wine glasses red wine
    1 small carton (2 fl ozs) soured cream
    Juice of a small lemon
    The method.
    1. Cut away any fat. Cut the venison into1 inch cubes. Place in a casserole or bowl, sprinkle with seasoning and herbs and pour over with milk. Cover and leave in the fridge for 24 hours, turning occasionally.
    2. Cover the pork with cold water and bring to the boil, drain, and cut into dice. Drain the milk off the meat, mix the flour and paprika together and dust enough over the meat to coat each piece and to dry the surface.
    3. Heat the salad oil in a flame proof casserole, add the pork and cook until the dice are golden brown on all sides.
    4. Add the butter to the casserole and when foaming put in the meat a few pieces at time. And cook fairly quickly until pieces are lightly covered.
    5. Remove the meat from the fat with a draining spoon. When all the meat has been browned in this way and removed from the casserole, add the onions, lower the heat and cook slowly, stirring from time to time until golden brown.
    6. Add the stock and wine and bring to the boil. Return meat to the casserole, cover and simmer very gently for about 2 hours or until tender. This could be done on top of a stove or in the oven set at 325F or Mark 3.
    7. Mix any remaining flour and paprika with the soured cream and lemon juice and add to the casserole. Stir until the mixture thickens and taste for seasoning.
    8. Serve with creamed potatoes.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

i slow cook the leg is red wine a little olive oil ,covered with slices oranges about 3 big ones .cover with foil .. ...mmmmmmm.

try mint sauce with it ,you will be surprised how well they go together make the gravy form the contents of the dish ..

for some one trying it for the first time slice it as thin as you can ..

this a simple one .. dice the meat into small peices ,and start to cook in some water ,after a hour add veg what ever you have , i dont put spuds into it as they just go to mush ,much better to have them mashed with it .

add tomato and ox tail soup but use half red wine and water .. black pepper and some chilli flakes ,it works very well .ps dont use salt when cooking

Havent tried any of your ideas yet gents but did infact have a Cape Malayan Sikka/Munti curry this eve as one of the guys made on at the fire station ( as working the weekend ). It turned out lovely , deer was very tender and took up the flavours well.

Some interesting recipes there

We get quite a bit of Sika and have never had any that has been tough. I think the reason is that Phil hangs them for about 10 days. Yours could be tough though due to the trauma prior to death.

The loins on Sika are fantastic, cooked quickly and left to rest, served with a red wine reduction and gratin potatoes Mike Robinson on the BDS DVD shows how best to cook.