Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home visit

Home visit

4 weeks since I sent in the application forms & I've just had a call to arrange my home visit tomorrow. What is the Firearms Officer looking for. What sort of questions am I going to be asked? Will he expect my cabinet to be installed before I've been granted a licence?

Wish me luck.

what is he looking for

Hi stephen,
    You don't need to have your security in place at this time, but if you do it will mean that your ticket will be able to come back in the post and not be hand delivered which will be at the mercy of your FEOs diary.

as for security your cabinet needs to be a decent one, the new shop bought ones fit the criteria well. if you are using something else then we can look at that in more depth. your cabinet needs to be fitted to a solid wall (where possible) with 10mm rawl bolts. The 10mm is bolt size, not spanner size. at least 4 of them.
    Your bolt and ammunition for a s1 must be kept separately in a locked container. If you have a locking compartment to your cabinet then that will do. if not one of them safes from B&q etc will be ok, this also needs to be secure.
    your cabinet needs to be out of the view of casual visiters. ie in a cupboard or upstairs.
    Will anyone share your cabinet? if no then no problem, if yes then let me know and we will look at that again.

Be prepared, he is going to ask you about your exerience, why you need what you need. where you will shoot and maybe, depending on your experience who you will shoot with.

If you want one deer rifle of whatever calibre and he tries to tell you that you can only have a .243 for roe deer etc explain that you want a "7mm" (for example) because you intend to stalk in places where a bigger calibre would be more appropriate to ensure a humane kill. Ask for fox on the ticket as well. remember that .308 and .30-06 are perfectly legitimate calibres for shooting muntjac with. there is no change from dead.

If you don't have a moderator on the ticket it is worth putting one on at this point rather than sending in for another variation when a landowner tells you you need one!

If you don't have any stalking ground then the feo will really want to see evidence that you will be stalking. This can be written invites or bookings with a comercial agency.

doing your DSC1 is NOT statutory requirement and if told that you will have to do one maybe you should ask if it is a statutory requirement.

It is a good thing to do though.

You may find he will ask you about mentoring. A lot of guys on here don't like that, however it is a good idea. It isn't permanant anyway a quick call to the licencing office when you have been out with your mentor a couple of times will soon get rid of that.

Mostly explain yourself, ask what you need to and put the kettle on. He might have done an awful lot of hard graft before getting to you.

all the best

Excellent stuff Steve, god l wish that there was information openly available and sites like this when l did mine.

Good luck Stringer you will be fine, let us know how it goes

Thanks for a great reply Swampy,

Haven't installed cabinet as the wife wasn't too keen on me drilling holes 1. before I had the cert & 2. to make sure the FEO was happy with where it was going. ( I have a couple of options).

Will let you know the outcome.

My local bloke always asks if the kettle is broke if there isn't a cuppa waiting for him..

Good luck mate I went through all that back in January it was fairly painless, our FEO is a very helpful guy who is also a devout shooter and stalker .. gave me loads of advice.

FEO is going to recommend I have certs. but says it will take around 6 weeks

Congrats Stringer.. really pleased to hear the good news

Oh Yes! Certifacates arrived this morning Going to go spend some serious cash later today.

Congrats Stringer but I am not sure that you are ready to spend that money yet. You have not posted about which rifle to get and not had 7 pages of conflicting replies before you make your own mind up. It is just not good enough!

Decided weeks ago mate. Sako 85 .243 sitting waiting for me. Have a feeling I may come home with a .22 as well though. No point in an empty space on my ticket is there