What's wrong with me?

User00003

Spent a couple of days in the Highlands this past weekend, could have shot around 10 red stags, including two nice 8-pointers, but never pulled the trigger as I didn't feel it was 'necessary' to do so:eek::-|:rolleyes:

Is there a clinical term for this or do I just need to slap myself very hard out of it.:confused:

Ah there is a term for it it's called hard work ,it only starts after you've pulled the trigger ,it gets in the way of many people pulling the trigger on Reds .

Don't make you a bad person but i think you might need to give yourself a good talking to and if that don't work take me with you next time i'll shoot them for you.
Neil.

Spent a couple of days in the Highlands this past weekend, could have shot around 10 red stags, including two nice 8-pointers, but never pulled the trigger as I didn't feel it was 'necessary' to do so:eek::-|:rolleyes:

Is there a clinical term for this or do I just need to slap myself very hard out of it.:confused:

What do you think?

thats why your a deer stalker rather than a deer hunter have done the same thing bud walk away there is always another day now foxes i kill em all on sight but deer have that somthing enjoy the deer enjoy the hill but most off all respect what you shoot at

thats why your a deer stalker rather than a deer hunter have done the same thing bud walk away there is always another day now foxes i kill em all on sight but deer have that somthing enjoy the deer enjoy the hill but most off all respect what you shoot at

Wraith: One small thing so when do you go about the task of reducing the deer numbers, if you keep walking away is it when the deer numbers have grown so much there is no winter feeding and there starving ,(that's when you'll require the foxes to clean up what you should have done in the first place ) or when you loose the permission to shoot/stalk the area because you not meeting up with the reduction in deer numbers.

Deer numbers have to be reduced by people ,if it's there and I'm in the safe position to shoot and remove it,it's in the chill that night ,there's always someone else will shoot it if I don't.

Ah there is a term for it it's called hard work ,it only starts after you've pulled the trigger ,it gets in the way of many people pulling the trigger on Reds .

I agree with you on this one :) But not just reds: I had a big sika stag with the cross hairs on his shoulder for probably nearly five minutes just over a week ago but he was in the middle of clear fell and I was on my own and... If I'd shot him he would have run, by the time I'd found him it would have been pitch black, then I'd discover he weighed half as much again as I do and my troubles would only just be starting.

You need to take along you're own Donk (the stalker formally known as Big Steve). He'll drag all day. Massive mates come in handy.

There have been a few threads on here in the past where people have described occasions when, for one reason or another, they refrained from taking the shot. I once found myself on a corker of a potential shot but couldn't pull the trigger and rolled away, trembling like a leaf. Sometimes these things happen and we wouldn't be human if we didn't, every once in a while, question our own actions.

If you are a professional deer manager with a set cull to achieve then you should seriously reconsider your position. On the other hand, if you are a recreational stalker, paying wads of cash to be put on a beast, then the decision whether or not to make a kill is yours and yours alone. That said, the ghillie, estate manager or land owner might not be too pleased and that is the other consequence of your decision you will have to bear in mind - other peoples liveliehoods may be adversely affected.

Is there a name for your condition? How about oddieitis, or maybe LRD - latent rambler disorder.

Get well soon!

Last edited:
Hello again,

ha ha ha, enjoyed your replies - I was on a free weekends stalk at a friends highland grounds, not professional, nor estate. Did not have the trembles either, just felt there was no particular need to stick another trophy on the wall, and let them fight another day. could it be I'm sufferering from wanting a 'bigger' one than my current 'best', and the 8 pointers simply were not enough!!! Maybe it was that I had a chance to take quite a few red stags, maybe that day I felt the 'challenge' wasn't really there, and I just really enjoyed the 15 mile hike in bog and driving rain...who knows, but now the season is over, I almost feel like I can't wait for next season to come:banghead:

as someone who only has access to roe and would love the chance at a red i just think your a git:lol: have done the same myself tho,sometimes you can just sit and watch deer,but not to often!!!!

Actually I have not even seen a Red in the wild !!!

One day maybe....

Cheers + ATVB

Phillip

(just a wee bit jealous !!)

I may be sticking my neck out here, but I don`t think anything wrong with you at all.I can understand what your saying. In the last 2 yrs before I left U.K I only shot 1 Roe buck and 3 or 4 pigs,and a few Fallow; and believe me in that 2 yrs I could have shot more than my fair share of Fallow and pigs( but I left the pigs for others didn`t I Sean;))
Personally I used to get far more enjoyment out of getting people who hadn`t seen a pig in wild the chance to see one and was over the moon when I could get them a shot at one or two.I like to think I worked hard for that too.
I don`t think I had a sudden attack of conscience or anything that dramatic,just I felt I was quite lucky to be in early on the pigs and had some good shooting/hunting,probably better than most,and I feel in hunting as in life we have to put something back so I did it by giving others a good chance, ok, yes I did earn a bit at it too but wasn`t a fortune,covered costs maybe.
Another thing, I could go to Africa and not fire a shot and still enjoy myself,but no way on this earth could I go to Africa and not take the 30-06 or 458:lol: We don`t have to kill everything we see.

Ah, someone who knows about the real John McNab not the comercial version. JC

...which was supposed to be a cure for ennui

I did, once, contact a hotel in the Highlands to enquire about their advertisement for a (commercial) McNab. A very posh sounding woman told me that it would be done over three days to make sure ever part of the trilogy was achieved and that in the meantime perhaps I would like to read the book to learn more. As you might imagine, that was one hotel I decided to avoid.

...which was supposed to be a cure for ennui

I did, once, contact a hotel in the Highlands to enquire about their advertisement for a (commercial) McNab. A very posh sounding woman told me that it would be done over three days to make sure ever part of the trilogy was achieved and that in the meantime perhaps I would like to read the book to learn more. As you might imagine, that was one hotel I decided to avoid.

Over three days? ... So that'll be three nights bed and breakfast for the price of one please?... :rolleyes:

Back