Thread: Game Economics

Game Economics

Hi All,

I just read this is the Food Manufacture magazine for October 2010.

“The market for game continues to grow, and is now worth £75M, according to the latest report from Mintel. Sales for 2010 are projected to increase by a further 6.7% to reach 80M.
    Venison captures more than half of the total spend on game and is now worth £43M, which represents an increase of 34% between 2006 and 2009.
    The market for feathered game grew by 31% between 2006 and 2009 to £21M.
    More accessibly priced game based products, such as sausages and burgers, could tap into the pool of 20M adults who see game as too expensive, according to Mintel.”

Food for thought….

There was a stack of diced game and partridges in the reduced section of my local Tesco yesterday. I picked up two partridge at £3 a piece but I certainly wasn't going to pay the same for a handful of scrag end of pheasant. Tesco's venison was, for a long time, sourced solely in NZ although they now also list the UK and Ireland as other potential sources. It wouldn't surprise me if the greater part of venison bought at any of the large supermarkets is farmed. I am, however, a big fan of Sainsbury's Wild Scottish Venison sausages and at £4 a dozen believe they represent good value for money.

UK sales of offal, alone, is worth nearly £68M which may put the figures on game in a slightly different light.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Watched a TV programme recently were the boss of Highland Game was saying he cannot source enough venison in the UK to meet the demand and therefore has to get it shipped across from New Zealand. He was suggesting some business minded people should look into starting a deer farm.