Thread: Smock vs. Jacket

Smock vs. Jacket

What are the (dis)advantages of a smock compared to a jacket? I very much like the waterproof lighweight field smock from country covers, but always had the idea that a smock is less comfortable than a jacket. You can always open a jacket when walking uphill and getting pretty warm. A smock is always closed and the heat stays inside.

Hi Hales

I have the Country Cover Jacket, like you I wanted the jacket because you can keep yourself cooler if you have a big hill to tab up or a red to drag out, the down side with this jacket is that in very heavy rain the zip lets water though, it is not a big problem and is only in real heavy stuff mind.

Depend as said, take a soaking wet smock off, poss uncomfertable. As to unzip a jacket

I have the Country Covers smock that you mention and am very pleased with it. However, I bought is as a lightweight waterproof for spring / summer. It stuffs down into a small space and is very handy in a down pour. I've worn it to fish in and the cuffs make a good seal.

It's a light weight garment and I think its downfall for all day / winter use could be the lack of ventillation and also lack of pockets. A jacket would probably be better in such circumstances.

Horses for courses.

The smock is very much a continental thing where alot of the hunting is done in drier weather and in a forestry setting, not in torrential rain and hiking up a hill all day!
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Country covers call theit zip up jackets smocks, they are not the true over the head type far as i am aware they do not make an over the head smock.

I think Country Covers introduced the "The Waterproof Field Smock" earlier this year. I got mine from the Keepers Fair at Catton. Link is attached

It is an over the head design, with a zip and flap with poppers. The zip comes down to about chest level on me.

I have been wearing pull over type smocks for about 10 years now, originally I wanted a light weight summer waterproof.
    I now wear them all year round, and will continue to do so, even although I still have a couple of good jackets.
    The only point the jacket wins on is ventilation, for everything else the smock wins hands down.