Cure for Squeaky Boots

For the cracking over the toes i think the only thing you can do is religiously apply wax type stuff to the area where it creases to keep the leather supple. If you let it get dry then it will quickly crack and the boots will effectively be buggered.

Also stiffer boots can help with this as they flex a bit less accross the toes

For the cracking over the toes i think the only thing you can do is religiously apply wax type stuff to the area where it creases to keep the leather supple. If you let it get dry then it will quickly crack and the boots will effectively be buggered.

Also stiffer boots can help with this as they flex a bit less accross the toes

Dan, I damn nearly bought shares in nikwax the amount i was putting on my horrible mouflons. It just didn't work, on the first pair or the replacement pair that they , grudgingly, sent me. It's amazing, about a year ago I bought some cheap gore-tex lined Chiruca's, about £70.00 delivered, and they are still going strong. They get treated just the same as the others and cost one third the amount and I have got 200% longer wear than from the others. I have not even bothered replacing my old Meindl's yet, I havn't needed to.

ft

Anybody have a cure for squeaky boots? I have been using Le Chameau Mouflon Plus boots for 2 - 3 years quite happily but they are now starting to squeak badly. I have not changed the type of dubbin I am using. The squeak is coming from the tongue rubbing against the leather uppers.

Mulac
I am told my arse squeeks when I walk but I have never had squeeky boots :lol:
Other than giving them plenty of dubbin and leaving them in a warm room to let soak in i dont know what to suggest.

The mouflons i had were very comfortable and didnt squeak but they were never very waterproof. Plus i wore them planting trees and knackered the sole, when i sent them back (speculatively i know) and they got sent back saying that the boots had been worn on a quad bike and the warranty wouldnt cover that because they are not a work boot!

I like my meindls but i do worry about them splitting and end up cleaning and waxing them pretty much every time they get seriously wet / dirty

I have used most of the advice given on this thread on my Mouflons and can report success!!

I waited until they were thoroughly dry then sprayed them with WD40. This was left to soak in for a couple of days then I applied dubbin very liberally. Finally I spread vaseline on the shoe laces up to the point they leave the boot to be tied. I put them on tonight for a duck flight and although it wasn't really a stenuous test they were silent! Pity my duck flight wasn't as successful.

By the way I have had these boots for a number of years and although the leather is now cracked across the toes they have never let in water. The only problem I have had with them is the squeaking which only started recently.

Mulac

It does depend where they are squeaking of course, but a good dose of talc powder should do the trick; especially if the squeak is under the insole.

Back