OK Duracoat........ this got me thinking

Brithunter

Seeing as how the BSA Monarch project will have to be blacked (Blued) as the barrel is in the white and the action shows wear tot he original factory finish after some 40+ years of use the thought occurred as to how much like traditional BSA/Parker-Hale blacking would Duracoat look?

Those who know will understand what I mean as Both BSA and Parker-hale used a very deep gloss black although the earlier BSA's had a more traditional looking blacking/bluing. Hmmm looking att eh action on my desk as I type this perhaps we could get away with just doing the barrel and re-doing the bolt handle.

But never really taking much notice of these coatings I don't know how they can look :oops: Matt is obvious the fad right now for lots but do they come in more traditional gloss?

Brit i have used the Dura coat that was for amature use on my moderator and have found it very solid i use my rilfe 3-4 times a week and there is not a brake in it.

RUTON30TH012.jpg

Brit i have used the Dura coat that was for amature use on my moderator and have found it very solid i use my rilfe 3-4 times a week and there is not a brake in it.

RUTON30TH012.jpg

Eh?!!
Am I seeing things here? I thought you were the fella that wouldn't put that cheap paint crap on anything?:confused:

I still suspect you are in fact the paint salesman that works in the Duracoat department of Homebase!!:-|:lol:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?3006-DURACOAT&highlight=duracoat

If I press the orange button, will you be here in less than 2 minutes?:D

You're full of surprises 6 pointer, I'll give you that!
MS:lol:

Hmmm this requires thinking about and making more enquires as well as finding out the costs and that for traditional blacking/bluing.

As far as I know, so far, there is nowhere around this neck of the woods that does this so it looks like either shipping or taking to Birmingham or somewhere like that for the re-finish. Perhaps as it has to go to proof it can be arranged to go to the finishing place after proofing as that would save on shipping. Then there is the cost of the coating and shipping to that so I'll have to weigh it all up. We shall see.

Thanks for the comments and info ;)

durakote super enamel from b&q i used this on my rem 11-87,i took the rem apart cleaned and sprayed it then left it for 7 days,put it back together and left for a further 30 just like duracote,i cant tell the difference and its hard wearing too.

durakote super enamel from b&q i used this on my rem 11-87,i took the rem apart cleaned and sprayed it then left it for 7 days,put it back together and left for a further 30 just like duracote,i cant tell the difference and its hard wearing too.

steyr, I take it you did not read the link Monkey Spanker posted? Try it; http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?3006-DURACOAT&highlight=duracoat

I do not think Brit would be satisfied with a half-assed spray can job, could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time?

ft

Edit; Some would say a half-assed spray can jobbie is all a rem deserves :stir: ;)

Last edited:
steyr,

I do not think Brit would be satisfied with a half-assed spray can job, could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time?

ft

Edit; Some would say a half-assed spray can jobbie is all a rem deserves :stir: ;)

:rofl: :lol: Spot on Flytie ;). Having gone to the trouble and expense of acquiring a new barrel I do want it to look decent and the finish to last otherwise I would be just simply cold bluing it with the cream :rolleyes:

Having had several rifles coated using Duracoat, I dont think it will give you the finish you want Kevin.

This is not to say that this (Duracoat) is an inferior product, it just wont give you the deep blue shine, that you will be used to on traditionally blued guns.

I have a rifle coated in shiny black on the barrel and parkerised grey on the action - both Duracoat colours by the way done proffesionally, very good for my intended use, maybe not your cup of tea.

The two colours are matt, but could have had a coating of laquer applied to enhance the shine - something I did not want

_ASC0367.jpg

Compared to blueing -

An old HW80 I picked up to restore for myself, which you will agree is in a sorry state.

DSCN1892.jpg

After I made certain tuning enhancements, I sent the cylinder, barrel and end cap away to a chap who does pretty good bluing locally to me

DSCN1904.jpg

There is another guy I use in the Cannock area who's work is excellent, but you pay for it....

Your right Redmist I think the old fashioned traditional blueing/blacking is the way to go so perhaps you could put me in touch with the blacking chappie. The HW80 looks fine and I believe that would certainly do the old BSA justice :D and of course the stock needs the barrel channel opened up to accept the new barrel which is of a slightly different profile and the action requires bedding. Once the barrel is fitted we can move onto the next stage.

I had a barrel parkerised some time ago and while I found the finish pleasing, it just did not last might have been OK on something that was only used occasionally but was no good on a rifle that was in daily use, having it lacquered may have helped but I wanted a matt finish.
So don't think it would suit Brit.

steyr, I take it you did not read the link Monkey Spanker posted? Try it; http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?3006-DURACOAT&highlight=duracoat

ft

duracote (homebase is like water)!!!! sorry i got it wrong... its plastikote super enamel from b&q...and my remmy semi auto gets used and abused so i thought ide try it on this about 3 years ago it is very hard wearing and still looks as good,ide recommend it for any old rifle or remmy:D

redmist said:
I dont think it will give you the finish you want Kevin.

This is not to say that this (Duracoat) is an inferior product, it just wont give you the deep blue shine, that you will be used to on traditionally blued guns.
Ditto.

Paul

During the summer I picked up from the Borders Gun Room an AyA No 3 Magnum - still nice and tight but the bluing on the barrels was pretty worn away - effectively bare metal in places - I wasn't overly worried as clearly wear from where previous owner had been carryig it on the marsh and its destined for the same place. I did enquire about the cost of rebluing the barrels and getting a proper job was quite expensive.

I took the gun back down a few weeks later to have the stock bent to suit me - left handed. Whilst it was there they reblude the barrels with Tetra Blue - a cold bluing solution. They along with myself was very surprised at how good a job even just a couple of coats has done. OK not Purdey standard, but good enough for a working gun. How well it will last, haven't a clue, but easy enough to redo a few years time if starts wearing a bit thin again.

Ahhh speaking to a local gunsmith by phone this morning it seems there is a chappie who does bluing about 8 miles from here and I have his number somewhere. Just have to find it and contact him about pricing and see if I can see some of his work.

There was a thread some years ago on one forum -it got quite heated and abusive - to the effect that the "duracoat" from B & Q is NOT the same "duracote" that is done in the US and under licence from the US.

Indeed this was confirmed by correspondence with the product licence holders in the US. It is not the same. One is a "baked" process I believe the other a spray on paint.

Back