Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sat nav

Sat nav

I am just about to get rid of my truck which has built in sat nav.

I am looking to buy a system which I can input longitude / latitude and not just street names and post codes. I tend to visit a lot of remote places with work, which are not covered by a post code or on a main road. At the moment I find my desired destination on Google Earth and then enter the longitude / latitude in to my built in sat nav. So far, I have been unable to find a sat nav which will allow me to do this. I am sure there must be something on the market(?).

I'm pretty sure you can enter longitude and latitude coordinates into a tomtom. I'll go check mine out and report back
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Yes you can do it with tom-tom.

yep, option to enter L and L. Another option is to enter a place on a map overview.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

im on the road 12hours a day and Garmin is the only one to buy .they have also come down in price as my first one was 450 and after standing on it i replaced it with one at 160 which is just as good..BMW 6s come with Garmin standard in dash so if its good enough for them it good enough for me..

Thanks Chaps.

I have had nothing but blank looks and straight 'no you cant' from the dipsticks with shiny suits and dodgy ties in Curry's and PC world etc when I have asked the question!

My first satnav worked very well for about four years then started playing up, a cynical person might say that the 'repeat sale' chip had kicked in!

I went to several places to look for my next one and met some prize prats, almost to a man they just read what it said on the box out loud to me as if I was a five year old! At one point the lack of knowledge made me think that I had walked into 'The Sportsman' by mistake!

I finally found one guy in Halfords who had a bit of product knowledge and, more importantly, a bit of enthusiasum.

The one I finally bought is ok but not as good as the first one as it frequently can't find small villages and I have to look them up on a map and find a larger town nearby in order to get into the vicinity. Still bloody useful though and interesting to see how far you are into a long journey.

PC world?................ three letters missing there mate!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I've got a Garmin which I've had for several years and can't fault, you can enter L&L, but I don't think there's much between them and Tom Tom. I've used both and prefer Garmin especially as it has a pedestrian option.