Sat nav

thomas

I am just about to get rid of my truck which has built in sat nav.

I am looking to buy a system which I can input longitude / latitude and not just street names and post codes. I tend to visit a lot of remote places with work, which are not covered by a post code or on a main road. At the moment I find my desired destination on Google Earth and then enter the longitude / latitude in to my built in sat nav. So far, I have been unable to find a sat nav which will allow me to do this. I am sure there must be something on the market(?).

ATB

Tom

im on the road 12hours a day and Garmin is the only one to buy .they have also come down in price as my first one was £450 and after standing on it i replaced it with one at £160 which is just as good..BMW 6s come with Garmin standard in dash so if its good enough for them it good enough for me..:D

Thanks Chaps.

I have had nothing but blank looks and straight 'no you cant' from the dipsticks with shiny suits and dodgy ties in Curry's and PC world etc when I have asked the question!

My first satnav worked very well for about four years then started playing up, a cynical person might say that the 'repeat sale' chip had kicked in!

I went to several places to look for my next one and met some prize prats, almost to a man they just read what it said on the box out loud to me as if I was a five year old! At one point the lack of knowledge made me think that I had walked into 'The Sportsman' by mistake!

I finally found one guy in Halfords who had a bit of product knowledge and, more importantly, a bit of enthusiasum.

The one I finally bought is ok but not as good as the first one as it frequently can't find small villages and I have to look them up on a map and find a larger town nearby in order to get into the vicinity. Still bloody useful though and interesting to see how far you are into a long journey.

JC

I've got a Garmin which I've had for several years and can't fault, you can enter L&L, but I don't think there's much between them and Tom Tom. I've used both and prefer Garmin especially as it has a pedestrian option.

I've got a TOMTOM but can't enter Lat and Long can you expand on that as it would be very handy thanks.

Mine is very portable, has unlimted battery life and is extrememly flexible...goes by the name of 'map' You can put your lat and long into it quite easily :D

I have a tom tom which has been superb for 6+ years, easy to use and generally takes you straight there, I have an '05 Honda CRV with an in-built system, and sad to say, the guy who paid extra for it when new was bent over and greased up! it only takes 5 digits for the postcode, it changes its mind about routes on a daily basis and generally performs like every POS built in its been my misfortune use :( on a brighter note I have a Garmin SPIII on my bike and that has taken me all over Europe :) although often because it doesn't have a clue where it is :D (it tried to take me up to Scotland on the M5/M6 with a detour through Leeds and the West Riding of Yorkshire once :rolleyes:) in my opinion TomTom is the way forward, your mileage may vary :)

I have a Navigon. A great GPS. Went up north boar hunting. Got to the place OK but it took me down some amazing gravel roads out through the forest;)

Thanks Chaps.

I have had nothing but blank looks and straight 'no you cant' from the dipsticks with shiny suits and dodgy ties in Curry's and PC world etc when I have asked the question!

Tom Tom works fine for what you get. Hope you get the one with hands free for mobile - I've had same one for 5 years now and it's great. Hands free has auto answer so you don't even have to look at it if someone calls you, so you can keep your eye on the road. Long lat and map position all available. You can also walk with it away from car and mark your position (but it's a bit lumpy to put in the pocket)
Try asking at Halfords, they know a bit better

I've got a TOMTOM but can't enter Lat and Long can you expand on that as it would be very handy thanks.

I dont which one you have but I have the go830.
All I do is press 'navigate to' then scroll to the next screen where I have the option for latitude and longitude.

I've got a Garmin which I've had for several years and can't fault, you can enter L&L, but I don't think there's much between them and Tom Tom. I've used both and prefer Garmin especially as it has a pedestrian option.

paul,

i do believe that the tom tom has that option also.
i must say i prefer the tom tom to the garmin BUT in saying that i have only seen the garmin and not used it.....
sorry a bit bias

atb f.

thomas
I have the tom tom app on my apple iphone and use it all the time either via bluetooth to the trucks radio or wth an fm sender i have just checked and it also has the long/lat feature you are looking for.
Assuming you have an ipone of course it could be a cheaper alternative option if you are struggling to find what you are looking for, the app costs £49.99 i have had mine for 8 months and have no complaints
Anyway it was just a thought and i hope you get sorted
ATB
RICK O SHEA

thomas
I have the tom tom app on my apple iphone and use it all the time either via bluetooth to the trucks radio or wth an fm sender i have just checked and it also has the long/lat feature you are looking for.
Assuming you have an ipone of course it could be a cheaper alternative option if you are struggling to find what you are looking for, the app costs £49.99 i have had mine for 8 months and have no complaints
Anyway it was just a thought and i hope you get sorted
ATB
RICK O SHEA

You can also get Memory Map for the iphone which will give you OS standard mapping as well as a route finder.

Back