Gaiters

Dan Newcombe

Have long been suspicious of the actualy waterproofness of my Harkila Gaiters so i am not looking for some new ones.

Had a quick look on the Blackislander site and nearly had a heart attack, £64!!!

Are the standard blackislander ones any good?

What else do people use, i need them plenty long thanks to my lanky legs so that i dont end up with a gao between my breeks and the gaiters

Had a look at the Yeti ones from berghaus, might get some if i find a second pair of boots to put them on!

Dan

Hi Dan
lakelandwellyworkshop.com and have a look at their welly gaitors i think they are about £15 a pair i have been wearing them for the last 6-7 yrs i would not wear anything else now
Geordie

I wear a pair of barbour waxed ones for beating and stalking. They're waterproof and I like that I can reproof them. They do take some hammer though, so I reproof them more often than I would a coat. The straps that go underneath the boot are a bit rubbish so I've mod'ed them with cable ties. They're ok now. Not sure about length as I wear mine with trousers.

Cheers,

Bob

I use Kammo gaiters they ok but the lace you get to hold them under your boots can go straight in the bin.

Yeti's, cant fault them.

Unfortunately they are actually designed for a solid sole, not the flexi sole you find on most boots now.

I use a drop of Evo Stick Impact Adhesive on the rubber toe of my boot and then on the mating face of the gaitors rand.

Works a treat.

One word of advice, once you use them, peel the gaitor all the way down to "air" the boot, my lace eyelets rotted on the first pair of boots I had them on, no problems this time round. They are as good as wearing wellies.

My wife has a set on her boots for walking the dog.

I use huntec gaiters from new zealand, have three pairs of them, first pair have had them 7 years they are a very hard wearing pair of gaiters, silent and waterproof. Would definately recomend them.

They are approx 40 pound.

wicklow202

BlackIslander's are brilliant as long as you are not beating through brambles, very breathable too. They come in a variety of sizes. I ruined mine beating on our shoot, now i use Kammo ones which are very durable and quiet.

ft

I use Kammo gaiters they ok but the lace you get to hold them under your boots can go straight in the bin.

I use Kammo gaiters too.

The lace that goes beneath has been replaced more than once on mine, largely because that particular part of the ensemble seems to cop for a lot of wear. I can't even remember what the original one was like, but the gaiters are still fine!

i use the barbour endurance gaiters , when i used to go beating and still use them for my stalking ! there the ones with the velcro front , mine are now i think 6 plus yrs old and a little beat up but still water proof ! i think they were £38 !

cheers lee

Neoprene Mac Gaiters worked for me when I use em.

I've had different sorts, but a mate of mine has the Mac Gaiters and they look the business. They are on my next shopping list of things to buy, from what I've seen they're about the only ones out there that are quiet in use!

Out of interest, where did you get them from Finnbear?

I use Le Chameau Kotkor gaiters... they come up on Ebay occasionaly.

Great gaitors let down by a completely cack zip and entry system. Why they coulnd't have made them with a conventional zip up the front so you can flick the steel trace over your heel is beyond me. Apart from the aformentiones issue and subsequent fanny about to get them on they are extremely tough.

I've had different sorts, but a mate of mine has the Mac Gaiters and they look the business. They are on my next shopping list of things to buy, from what I've seen they're about the only ones out there that are quiet in use!

Out of interest, where did you get them from Finnbear?
sale item at the midland two years back.

Back