A client to remember...

I had a german guy out stalking Roe last week who was.. over-enthusiastic to say the least. I found 3 bucks in the morning, all of which he missed, 2 in the afternoon... which he also missed due to sheer excitement apparently?. so when we went out that evening after checking the zero of the rifle, I had a slight change of plan, when we came across a nice roe buck standing broad side on not more than 60 yards away I set my sticks up, aimed the rifle and basically held it for him, he squeezed the trigger... and NOTHING! he had missed yet again! in my frustration I took the rifle back, layed onto the beast and fired, knocking it down with a nice clean shot. Imediatley he grabbed me, hugged me and shook my hand, he was over the moon, even though I had shot it?

As I walked over to the deer I unloaded my rifle and put it down, ready to gralloch it, but I was then told by my client that he had just bought a new knife and wanted to try it out, be my guest I said. After he made a nice job of gralloching it I opened my roe sack only to be told that he'd also just bought a harness type carrier and would like to try that out too.... and ended up willingly carrying the buck that I had shot but he had gralloched back to the truck which was abut a mile away... you don't get that everyday!

I had a german guy out stalking Roe last week who was.. over-enthusiastic to say the least. I found 3 bucks in the morning, all of which he missed, 2 in the afternoon... which he also missed due to sheer excitement apparently?. so when we went out that evening after checking the zero of the rifle, I had a slight change of plan, when we came across a nice roe buck standing broad side on not more than 60 yards away I set my sticks up, aimed the rifle and basically held it for him, he squeezed the trigger... and NOTHING! he had missed yet again! in my frustration I took the rifle back, layed onto the beast and fired, knocking it down with a nice clean shot. Imediatley he grabbed me, hugged me and shook my hand, he was over the moon, even though I had shot it?

As I walked over to the deer I unloaded my rifle and put it down, ready to gralloch it, but I was then told by my client that he had just bought a new knife and wanted to try it out, be my guest I said. After he made a nice job of gralloching it I opened my roe sack only to be told that he'd also just bought a harness type carrier and would like to try that out too.... and ended up willingly carrying the buck that I had shot but he had gralloched back to the truck which was abut a mile away... you don't get that everyday!
nice story,did he also offer you his wife and daughter for the night ;) or maybe the 6 winning numbers on the lotto,on a seropus note he was obvioulsy happy in a strange sort of way but it takes all sorts,did you charge him for the buck

Hi,

going to be blunt here RCL and i hope you appreciate me doing so, three misses and you still allowed two more later in that same day before you tested zero...
also to hold the rifle and then allow him to fire it and miss. i hope i read that wrong...
sorry but i reckon i wont be the first to raise their eyebrow on this thread

f.

long shot got in before me. maybe i might be wrong then ....

Unfortunately he didn't offer me his wife or his daughter and not even 3 winning lotto numbers... haha!

He paid for the day but I certainly didn't charge him any extra for the buck (not that I ever do) and I also got a nice tip from him which I almost felt guilty accepting (almost) and a booking for next year!

Whatever floats your boat eh? ha

Obviously I checked the zero several times, I shortend the story to keep it readable... I could easily see the reason(s) he was missing, he was snatching at the trigger, anticipating the shot and even flinching!

Excitable german men for ya!

True story.

New knife new harness pity he didn't have a new rifle

I set my sticks up, aimed the rifle and basically held it for him, he squeezed the trigger... and NOTHING! he had missed yet again!

So who was responsible for that miss?

I can't really get my head around that situation, deffo not seen it in the Best Practice Guidance. ;)

Hi,
How long had he had his Jagdschein, or did he not have one, then I would have been cautious about giving him a gun to use.
There are wanabees over here also.
Martin

Hi,
How long had he had his Jagdschein, or did he not have one, then I would have been cautious about giving him a gun to use.
There are wanabees over here also.
Martin

It's the first time I've thought of it like that. Do you tend to get many clients from Europe who use the fact that they can pay for stalking over here as a way to "sidestep" gaining their own countries' hunting license?

It's the first time I've thought of it like that. Do you tend to get many clients from Europe who use the fact that they can pay for stalking over here as a way to "sidestep" gaining their own countries' hunting license?

Following on from that. Is it possible for someone in Germany to obtain a Euro Firearms Pass, (or even a firearm in the first place), without a Jagdshein?

sorry 222 views
two people think that something is wrong and say it....
are all 220 others in agreeance that the stories ok

not running rcl down but take him out of the equation this is not the image we should be projecting is it

f.

Am I right in thinking that RCL is a so called pro stalker , with all the qualifications dsc etc, if so glad I don,t have any. As for german stalkers, only took 1 out once, he shot a medal head (so he said) 3 times before I could intervene rump and 2 gut shots, I took his money and told him not to call again. and yes he shot target before we went out

hold on a min now,lets not run this guy down hes done nothing wrong,I thought the story was quite amusing knowing first hand what Germans hunters can be like.
they dont see a deer they see a trophy and dont care where they stick the bullet,obvioulsy this chap got very excited and missed,let he who hasnt missed cast the next post

I have never missed where the rifle was aimed at,ho ho every one has missed,there is lots of conditions out there that go against the hunter ie wind, rain,midgees,cold,excitment etc. most of the punters have hardly shot and they are given the estate rifle for 1 day in the year,its hard enough for the professional stalker at times let alone them..all perfectionist can talk a good stalking sistem but we r all fallible human beings.u r not the 1st to have a client miss and wont b the last.I am a profesional deerstalker with all the dsc levels,quad ,first aid certs, rob at www.albahighlandtaxidermy.com

Following on from that. Is it possible for someone in Germany to obtain a Euro Firearms Pass, (or even a firearm in the first place), without a Jagdshein?

Entirely possible. The Jagdschein is a hunting license, not a gun license. If a guy had a waffenbesitzkarte (gun license) specifically for target shooting I suppose there's nothing stopping him bringing his target rifle over on a EFP to go on a paid for stalk. I just wondered if many actually did it. Not just Germans, but anyone from a country that requires a hunting license.

what a load off.......

i took a guy whom never seen a deer in the flesh till he was with me, yes he is scottish not german, he was excited yes we stalked 130+ yards into it yes it was up hill etc etc one shot one kill.
yes i have missed yes i will miss again but read that thread again six misses no danger. thats not a story its either a spoof or very bad practice. money pays.

f.

ps i was not running the guy down either but if he wishes to practice this kind of stalking then tell us he is his own worst enemy.

Back