Thread: Progressing somewhat, and a question.

Progressing somewhat, and a question.

Hi All,

A little while back I posted about my first ever Fallow Buck. I have since been on two more outings, each of which was successful.

The next outing was much like the previous, with the only legal shot waiting till perilously close to dark. That transpired to be my second Fallow, a bit larger than the previous and in the dark colouring as opposed to the prettier dappled look of the previous.

A couple days ago I chose a morning stalk, and got myself a Muntjac Buck. Having shot a Muntjac Doe back in April I was really looking forward to the venison. The kidneys and liver were wonderful at lunchtime, but I quickly fried some of the fillet that evening and boy was it ever tough!!

Last time (April) I waited till the next day before butchering and eating any. This time I was advised to have the skin off while still warm, what with Muntjac being so tricky to skin. I know I trimmed it up well, slipped of the silverskin etc.

Was it perhaps just an older beast, so maybe all the rest of the meat will be similarly tough?

Personally I prefer other venison to Muntjac. Skinning one is like skinning a tyre, their skin sticks and is quite tough. However skinning it whilst warm is the way to go. I would then hang it for a few days, eating it straight away does not give the venison time to mature and to relax.

Just my opinion, I hang my vension for 7 days.

Hi Malc,

I keep reading conflicting reports about whether or not to hang Muntjac. I only decided to butcher it right away because I have nowhere to safely store a skinned carcass (I am searching for an old chiller to convert).

The previous muntjac was absolutely delicious, hence feeling happy to try this one so soon, and indeed looking forward to it.

Thr rest is in the fridge so I'll try again in a little while. If it is all tough then I will dice/mince it for burgers/pies etc.

I don't wish to be offensive, but it was probably the cook Very quick or long and slow is the way with venison, and if you cook it quickly (frying the fillet) you have to let it rest, almost until it is only just warm. But saying that there is nothing to beat slowly cooked venison in a stew with herb dumplings or a nice shortcrust pie, yum!

Edit; I forgot to say I skin and then hang muntys for about 5 days in the chiller.
    Last edited by flytie; 29-10-2010 at 09:27. Reason: Altzie
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Nope, it was fried for less than 2 mins a side, and then wrapped and rested for five. I did exactly the same to the previous one which turned out lovely.

I'll try and escape work for a while and do it again for lunch, and see how that turns out.

My apologies to the chef John!!

I have always tried to have the fillets ("stalkers perks") for my breakfast, sometimes I have grudgingly shared them but I have never had a tough pair of filets yet. And bearing in mind I have shot some old, old fallow boys, I must just have been lucky. I have now shot and eaten the grand total of four munty's so my experience is limited, but I have been served the munty "perks" while helping friends with their deer.

Was the beast stressed at all? I know this can make a difference with other livestock. Sorry to have impungned your cullinary skills, I wish you the best with your other fillet!

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Hi ft,

No offence taken at all. I will certainly report back. This is my second ever muntjac, and only my fourth deer, so I am certainly not claiming to know it all from that experience. Other than that I have purchased venison from the butchers for years, usually diced up and I made pies or stews etc.

When I shot this one he was just mooching around with a doe eating grass etc at first light. I wouldn't have thought he was stressed at all. He was partly obscured behind a fallen tree, I had to be pretty patient till I saw enough neck/shoulder on show and that is where I shot. Broke the spine and took out the far shoulder joint.

I can't get enough of this to be honest. I shoot pigeon and rabbits etc. with shotgun and rimfire over a small permission shared with friends. The stalking is all mentored as I have only recently been granted the FAC.

So much to learn, but good fun. My mentor thinks I am ready to go out alone, so when I get a chance I will contact my FEO to see what he says.

Update as promised: I just had another piece of the fillet for lunch. It was far better, the difference was enormous. So, it appears that it has benefited from the few days in the fridge, or maybe I did cock up and overdo it, but I had a timer going both times so that seems less likely.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

How easy is it to gauge the age of a Muntjac, or indeed other deer?

Look at the teeth .In particular the back molars to see how worn down they are.Thats one of the best ways to age deer.