Deer and cars

Muntiacus

With the wealth of knowledge regarding deer on this site, could we try to come up with a way we as individuals can try to reduce RTA's, is there a way that at grass root level we can do something to reduce casualties?
Building deer under/over passes whilst effective in Europe is great, but most people can not afford to do this out of there own pocket.
Personally I have a stretch of road nearby that you can find a dead/injured deer on a weekly basis.
ANY IDEARS?

Shoot the deer first?
seriously unless people learn to slow down in certain areas, it will keep happening, I move one deer a month off the local roads.

The Midlands Branch of the BDS have installed 'reflectors' along a stretch of road at Staunton Harold. Since doing this there have been no reported deer related RTA's.
May I suggest that you contact BDS HQ at Fordingbridge on 01425 655434. I think the reflectors are free!

bobt said:
Shoot the deer first?

Correct

Reducing the resident deer population reduces the number of accidents.

The Deer Initiative have been heavily involved in researching this subject over the last few years.

Reflectors have proven to be of very limited value, so I understand.

A reduction in speed alone will not necessarily help.

I was unfortunate enough to hit a Fallow a few years ago, I was doing about 40 mph travelling in a row of traffic the deer all ran out in a line between my car and the vehicle in front and avoiding them was impossible, fortunately only one was hit, but the damage to the car was severe.

I'm down your way in a couple of weeks time Morena, where's the best place to observe Fallow?

Yeah nasty business, I've got to get permission off a anti land owner to cull out a munty doe that has a broken jaw and one eye missing due to an RTA. No answer as yet, but I don't want to take the chance of getting caught even if it is a mercy killing.

Carl Gustaf said:
Yeah nasty business, I've got to get permission off a anti land owner to cull out a munty doe that has a broken jaw and one eye missing due to an RTA. No answer as yet, but I don't want to take the chance of getting caught even if it is a mercy killing.

She'll more than likely be dead by the time you get permission if you get it you then have to try and find her.

If she lasts longer than a week there's a good chance she'll make a recovery.
I've seen some deer survive with what appear to be horrendous injuries.

Heavy and consent culling in the vicinity and fencing are the only sure ways of reducing RTA's

In the town where I live we have a stretch of road called "Deer Death Valley". Deer get hit there all the time. Slowing down does seem to help some, as does being more aware during the times when deer are most active.

The most effective way to prevent deer-car accidents does seem to be to reduce the deer population. Some people just won't watch where they're going, and neither do the deer, so as long as deer and careless drivers are in proximity to each other, collisions will happen.

Back