Glenlyon

I have enjoyed the last three days at the stags in Glenlyon. I experienced computer problems on my return hence that late post. However, what a fantastic time we had. I took a chum with me this year who tried, and succeeded in shooting his first stag and was most excited by the trip.

The weather was changeable over the three days with the odd snow flurry, a shower or two, frosty starts in the morning and wonderfull bright sunshine in the afternoon enabling us to sit out on the hill and enjoy our lunch. We also took time out to spy the ground regretfully, picking up walkers that were not staying on the ridges, so I hope they did bot spoil fellow stalkers sport.

This year there was a new stalker Roddy on the estate with Grant the previous stalker retiring, and to say he had only been on the estate for a few weeks he certainly knew his ground as we managed to grass five stags in the three days. Furthermore, this year, with a younger and fitter stalker we went further out on to new ground and the landscape was a picture to one's eyes. We saw eagles, ravens and a pererine too which, as you would expect, added to our days enjoyment on the hill.

The rut, according to Roddy, was very late in starting at this part of the glen but it was really going when we arrived with much roaring and chasing. There were lots of deer infact our last day was a big problem as there were deer everywhere making stalking a particular stag rather testing.

So there we have it, three days in heaven and a year to wait for a repeat visit. Hey ho though that is stalking but come Christmas and the December moon I will be in Germany for wild boars.

Attachments

• 2010_1020GLENLYON0034.jpg
    2010_1020GLENLYON0034.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 2010_1020GLENLYON0039.jpg
    2010_1020GLENLYON0039.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 2010_1020GLENLYON0089.jpg
    2010_1020GLENLYON0089.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 100
Good to see donsider, good pics and a good 3 days, with the weather with you. and yes heaven
smithy

Great pictures, I was up in wester ross at the same time and the hills were stunning.

Ground I know very well Donsider. Glad to hear the new boy is keen and fit now that Grant is away, Roro is a little gem of a deer estate.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards.
S.

Back