Optilock rings - screws required

Maverick61

Does anyone know what size the screws are on optilock rings (the four that hold the two sides of the rings toghether)? Careless I know, but I've lost two screws from an old set & can't find any to replace them ?
Thanks.

Mav

You can easily obtain them from GMK at not a great cost.

I bought a few sets a couplke of years ago.

You obviously need to place the order via a dealer.

Mav, Good timing! You have just posted this topic as I am about to swap my scopes over for the first time. I have a S&B 7x50 on my Sako at the moment with optilocks, and am just about to change it (when the postie comes) to a S&B 8x56 that I have just bought from Macleod's. What should I do, or not do, while changing the scopes over?

I have bought some lok-tite for the screws, but am concerned about the inserts on the scope mounts, and am not sure how tight I need to clamp the screws up. I am having a worry as I have never changed scopes over before.

ft

Inserts are fine if you tighten up the screws evenly on each side & make sure to check that the crosshairs are still in line etc whileyou do it. Hand tight using a good allen key is fine & as with all rings don't overtighten else you risk stripping the threads. The inserts do a great job of centreing & gripping the scope evenly without marking. In my opinion all rings should use this system! When you've finished, just try to rotate the scope by hand. If it moves then you know you meed to tighten them up a bit more, but usually rock solid by this stage. Oh & remember to check your eye relief before tightening as well else you'll have to do it all over again ! I don't ever use loctite on scope ring screws, but as long as you use the right type then that's up to you.
Finally, S&B 8x56's are great, you won't regret buying one (I've got two 1x 25mm & 1x30mm).

Inserts are fine if you tighten up the screws evenly on each side & make sure to check that the crosshairs are still in line etc whileyou do it. Hand tight using a good allen key is fine & as with all rings don't overtighten else you risk stripping the threads. The inserts do a great job of centreing & gripping the scope evenly without marking. In my opinion all rings should use this system! When you've finished, just try to rotate the scope by hand. If it moves then you know you meed to tighten them up a bit more, but usually rock solid by this stage. Oh & remember to check your eye relief before tightening as well else you'll have to do it all over again ! I don't ever use loctite on scope ring screws, but as long as you use the right type then that's up to you.
Finally, S&B 8x56's are great, you won't regret buying one (I've got two 1x 25mm & 1x30mm).

Mav, thanks for that, most kind of you! :tiphat: Mr Macleod had an ex-demo one for £450, it just had to be mine! I havered over buying one of the Kahles 7x56 illuminated ones he has on offer, but with the extra rings it was getting pricey. So I got the 8x56 and am doing the DSC2 with the difference in price.

Thanks again!

ft

Back