Resizing new cases?

flyingfisherman

Ive just got some new brass, ive never had new brass before so am wondering if i need to full length resize first or not? Its nosler custom.

Hi,

No you should not have to resize. You can check the length just incase, but until they are fire formed they should not be over size.

Custom? what calibre?

Nosler Custom is all hand prepared brass, this why it carries a premium cost tag, I loaded all my .270 Nosler Custom & shot it without snags.

Colin, its a brand name, got a 7mm08 being built for me.. should be ready for mid Jan.. i can barely contain myself!! The brass looks top notch..

If you mic it and compare with the data in a reloading manual that will answer your question. Good luck with the new rifle.

ff
I would be tempted to do a wee trial first with some other brass once you get the rifle. Perhaps try and get hold of 10 cases and reload them just to get a view on the fired case dimensions. You could neck some .308 cases down, or as I did for a friend recently, run an expander through some 260 Rem cases. Or, perhaps some other 7mm-08 user could give you a few?
Rgds JCS

CHeers JCS, good idea, Bobt gave me a few 7-08 RP cases so will have a play with them, the rifle wont be ready til mid Jan anyways.. Im itching to get it!

I always resize all new brass, regardless of maker. It's one step in the Uniformity thing....~Muir

+ 1 on that.

Pointless spending money on a custom rifle and then potentially hobbling it with lack of care in reloading.

brough, sorry i was under the impression that you needed to full length resize after youve shot the brass.. I understand why neck sizing wouldnt work on brand new brass unfired..

OF course it will work. No sizing at all will work. It's just a matter of good practice. Even if you have a load established, switching brass means you start again with loading data. If that is the case, then you will want all the cartridges as close to dimensionally identical as possible. Ammunition coming from a series of drawing and sizing equipment is not guaranteed to be uniform. Aside from tedious measurements, the best way to assure that it gets that way is to FL resize, or at least to fit it to your respective chamber.~Muir

nostler brass is great i use it in the 22/250 just load it up fire it and then neck size after that. there is no need to size it when its new. some of the cheaper brands might need work. but this stuff doesnt

icon1.gif

Nosler custom brass, I find has zero requirements as to prep before loading, apart from a visual check for transit damage,...... at the other end of the scale I have some Winchester 300 WSM recently necked down to suit 7mm WSM, & some Remington Peters 7mm WSM , These trim to length swarf samples show the difference in ductility of the two brands of brass, The Remmy is the first pic.​
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

icon1.gif

Nosler custom brass, I find has zero requirements as to prep before loading, apart from a visual check for transit damage,...... at the other end of the scale I have some Winchester 300 WSM recently necked down to suit 7mm WSM, & some Remington Peters 7mm WSM , These trim to length swarf samples show the difference in ductility of the two brands of brass, The Remmy is the first pic.​
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

finnbear

What trimming device do you have??

Regards
ArthursC

icon1.gif

paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

great brass isnt it. i loaded some up with a load from my old 22/250 and it shot 10 shots into 1/2 inch through the rpa.

I use Win cases made to SAAMI spec and I neck size and trim to length, can't see any need to full length resize

FWIW I always fl resize new brass (even Lapua, although I've never used Nosler Custom) - it only takes a moment, so why not? Certainly won't do any harm.

Andrew

Back