Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Debate

Interesting Debate

There is an interesting debate currently ongoing on another deer stalking forum about the rights and wrongs of head shooting deer at ranges greater than 100m plus. As being advocated on a training course that was the subject of an article in Sporting Rifle latest issue.

Is this something that should be encouraged or discouraged?

Head shots are not something I would personally endeavor to undertake.

However that is just me, I don't like to shoot outside of my comfort zone, I must say I am a big advocate of neck shots but again personal choice.

Every beast that you shoot presents with a choice of shots and I think that under less than perfect conditions we take the one that we can achieve the most humane kill with.

%age wise I would say I shoot 80% neck, 20% engine room and a big fat zero head shots.

Discouraged I would say.

Must say I agree with Blaser3006 absolutely.
    There is bound to be some other folks ideas put forward, I'm not saying they are wrong, just that I think it is wrong for me and would think wrong for others, that's my take on it. Save the head shots for Park Deer at ten paces or despatching animals that are already down.

Personally I support the comments that it should be discouraged.

Head shots require a very accurate shot... the brain/atlas joint are very small targets to hit. Add to that the fact that there is a sheet of bone in the way (ie the skull) then the chances of deflection increase.

The risks to the animal for a poorly placed shot are not worth thinking about: shattered jaw, shattered skull etc. The animal would run and die a slow and unpleasant death! I could not bring myself to risking a head shot, the consequences of a poor one are not what any animal deserves.

Patience and a disciplined shot make a good stalker... risk takers do not!

Save the head shots for Park Deer at ten paces or despatching animals that are already down.
    Comments I completely agree with...

I've never taken a head shot but I will take neck shots when the chance arrises. My ratio would be something like 80% chest 20% neck 0% head.

Head Shots

I like Robin Hood take probably 80% chest shots, but on a few occasions when I've been into a group of Fallow I sometimes take a second beast with a head shot. The first is always a chest or neck shot and as Fallow sometimes do they stand with vertical necks looking back at the shot deer this presents a stationary high neck/atlas joint shot. I will add I only take this shot if the deer is looking away from me how there is no chance of hitting the jaw, limit the range to 100yards and normally only off a bi pod.
    I personally think head shots should be discouraged but I'm just being honest saying I have used this shot on occasion.

Head Shtot

I had a chance at a head shot on a roe the other night he was head on to me about 30m away. I can confidently head shoot rabbits at twice the range. but I waited for him to turn side on but he winded me and headed off. He will still be there for another day. Better than me getting slung off my shooting permission for leaving a roe running arround with its jaw hanging off not to mention the suffering of the beast.

I posted this on another site but it is my veiws were ever I am posting.

I have a couple issues with neck shooting, often while the deer will drop on the spot, when approached the deer still has eye reflect activity indicting that the deer still has brain activity while being paralyzed, this in my mind is not a dead deer. (I have seen fallow, red and roe all do this in the last year.)

The deer may also drop on the spot, and while the stalker is congratulating himself in a job well done the deer springs to its feet and runs off.

If the bullet has damaged the windpipe it will have a agonising death drowning on its own blood. A wound to the back of the neck can become infected, the deer can not reach to lick it which seems to help clean a wound and prevent infection.

I have and will neck shoot if I have too, one estate I shoot demand that all deer culled are high neck shot as they process the venison themselves for the farm shop. But given the choice I will heart/lung shoot all my deer, as for the excuse that they run after you have shot them, then get yourself a dog, if you put the dog on the trail after 15 minutes it will have no problem finding it provided you did actually hit it, and neck shot deer still run away.

Well Gentlemen you have posted generally commonsense !
    I have shot many Deer in my lifetime but only a handful or so in the head.
    I have run and scored at Stalkers shoots for over 30 years and believe me the general standard of shooting is only fit for body shots.
    We never hear of the cock-ups the self appointed Daniel Boones make.

Only the unfortunate Deer suffers.

Carl Gustaf
    I think that this thread was put on by bradley to cause an argument, luckly common sense prevailed! I sometimes meet the odd stalker who boasts of head shots at long range and I wonder if they should call themselves stalkers.
    Surely long range shooting is what the Royal Artillery do. The art of stalking surely requires that the said stalker can, through skill and guile, get close to his prey using his/her knowledge of field craft and the terrain to approach and despatch the deer humunely.
    During the Boer War and the First World War Lord Lovat recruited his own highland ghillies to operate as sharp shooters/scouts to defeat the Boer and later WWI Germans snipers. Their field craft, precise shooting and use of camoflauge (Ghilliesuits) was the foundation for modern sniping. Men who boasted of their shooting prowess were considered unfit for the purpose.
    I personally subscribe to the view, a stalker is the hunting elite. We have all most likely started off with a Webley air pistol, owned lurchers and terriers, not to mention ferrets, had a play with shotguns and have evolved into a higher state. A preditor capable of making informed decisions on the situation as it unfolds and to battle all that nature puts in our path, and at the end of it know that we have done justice to the grassed deer before us, be it Muntjac doe or Imperial Red stag!
    Many people can shoot well at long range and those of them that are honest will admit sometimes it goes wrong. 'Horses for courses' but the thrill of getting in close knowing that every minute that goes by exposes you to the watchful eye of the old hind. Surely thats what stalking is all about!
    I have a romantic view of stalking, I put it down to reading 'John Macnab' at an early age and at least once a year every year since!

Well thats my take on it, its an opinion, hopefully not a contentious one.

Thank you.