A day out near Falkirk.

XYZ

I have a day to myself in the Falkirk area next week. Are there any places nearby to see deer?

Best Regards,
Adrian.

Yes.. the wooded area opposite the football ground has many Roe and i see them at the side of the road during darkness. I lamp four farms within a four mile radius of Falkirk and they all have a good Roe population so any wooded area will hold Roe... Callendar estates would be worth a look but DONT TAKE YOUR RIFLE!!!

Are you meaning wild deer or farmed deer. If farmed deer, not far from Falkirk is the Beecraigs Country Park just outside Linlithgow. It's a 1000 acre park open to the public. There are roe in the forest sections but due to public access they are not the easiest seen.

Probably better heading over to Stirling and be tempted to spend your hard earned at the Bushwear shop.

sorry but i am a cynic but what if adrianc has six dogs to take with him. info like that i would not share unless he came recommended or knew someone i knew.
no disrespect meant but it is possible.

f.

Yes Frank you are a cynic. If I was looking to while away a day in some unknown Somerset town I might just ask a similar question. The info he has been given by me is in the public domain and that given by Red Dot is probably known by all the locals who care to look.

Thank you to all for your comments - even Frank's! :D
I can assure you I do not have six dogs, long ones or short ones, nor do I have any intent to take anything with me other than a camera, wellies, waterproof and a rucksack.
My partner is working in a regional office in Falkirk and I'm going with her to share the driving. While she is at work I would prefer to make the most of a rare opportunity to visit Scotland and see some scenery and/or deer rather than spend the day sat in a car park or sitting in Starbucks watching the clock.
I understand and appreciate the 'cynical' remark as I am a newcomer to the forum but a 'closed shop' mentality is very often off putting to people such as myself who are keen to integrate with the stalking community.
It was a question intended to get some local knowledge and insight about good places to visit. I can of course just wander blindly around the countryside with basic knowledge found on the net but would prefer some more specific locations to visit.
Any further comments are welcome, cynical or otherwise!

Ac,

Firstly its not a closed shop mentality mate that i have and all that know me will know i do not share that ideal.
as i read the original post it lacked the content in the previous one to this.
if you had shared with us the full extent of why you where in falkirk etc i would have been less of a cynic.
as for red dot, why best to say nothing, thats why there is 1000s members on here and only 20 post.
they are too scared to say anything because they get shot down on the first hurdle.
i say if you have something to say then do so.
my initial assumption could have been correct and if it was and next week a carcass was found in falkirk where gazza states the deer are then who would be right ??
i also have seen the deer referred to many times and also else where but i aint telling the world where and thats not because i want to stop decent guys like adrian its to stop the not so nice guys.
i hope adrian gets to see some whilst here as there is a lot about.

f.

These Somerset guys with the Long Dogs are a real nuisance in the Falkirk area??

sarcasm is the lowest form of wit:gheyfight:
you ask the many farms that have had long/short dog attacks where they came from.
its never the next door neighbours. there has been some cases not far from you over past years and they had come from many miles away.

f.

I have a day to myself in the Falkirk area next week. Are there any places nearby to see deer?

Best Regards,
Adrian.

Adrian

I am a bit flummoxed with some of the response to your question:confused:

If this was a post from someone wanting to run dogs at deer, I am sure that they only have to look at an area of ground and make a reasonable assumption that deer may be present whether aided by local knowledge or not!

If you have several hours to spend it would be well worth your while taking a run further up the motorway and having a tour around what is some of the most stunning areas of natural beauty in Scotland, the Trossachs. No guarantee you will see deer but just by looking at the ground you will know that they are there somewhere. In particular the areas of Lochearnhead and Callander are not too far away.

You may even find a nice area to walk the dogs that you may or may not own, just like the tens of thousands of other dog owners do that visit the area throughout the year.

Brian

Jeeze Oh! The guy just asked a simple question and he has been accused of being a poacher... Oh, i am going to Somerset next week to run 6 dogs i don't own... friggin man up you guys. And live and let live. CBS, you were just plain rude and i am glad you like your toys for only you to play with. How is your high seat secured to your pit bing?

Jeeze Oh! The guy just asked a simple question and he has been accused of being a poacher... Oh, i am going to Somerset next week to run 6 dogs i don't own... friggin man up you guys. And live and let live. CBS, you were just plain rude and i am glad you like your toys for only you to play with. How is your high seat secured to your pit bing?

+1

What a way to be welcomed to Scotland.

As already said if you have all day to spend head for the hills, fantastic scenery and rumour has it that there are one or two deer up there.

Best Regards,
Adrian.

For deer, as already mentioned, head up through Stirling (the broach of Scotland) into the bonnie Trossachs or closer to Falkirk visit:

www.beecraigs.com

Given that Falkirk is a former industrial centre you might also like to see a nearby example of engineering excellence at:

www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk

Or, depending on the weather any of the attractions listed here:

http://www.falkirkonline.net/For Visitors/Local Attractions/Local Attractions.aspx

Thank you for all your comments Gents.

Like I said, I can understand a certain amount of caution regarding my question and being a new member etc.
I would point out though that a seven or eight hour drive just to do a bit of poaching is a bit OTT from where I sit. The cost in fuel and time far outweighs any practical or financial benefit IMO. I live between the Blackdown Hills, the Quantocks and Exmoor is about fifteen minutes away. My shooting permissions are in the New Forest so I'm not short of seeing deer and there must be one or two between me and Scotland? ;)

Anyway, I'm sure no offence was meant and none was taken. :cool:

I appreciate all suggestions on where to go and perhaps catch a glimpse of deer and look forward to visiting the area next week.

Best Regards,
Adrian.

Last edited:
hi,

glad to see your mature Adrian and see where i was coming from, from the off as stated no offence was meant to you and i did not mean any malice to you specifically.
some times some others dont think outside the box. i do hope you get to see deer.
to put others right i have often offered others help when in scotland.
i offer an open door for info and assistance and have helped some on here.
i would ask you to view the poachers in england thread and will see that the baddies do travel to do there sport.
as for an eight hour waste of time for a deer i would ask you to sit on the A1 or M74 every Thursday Friday and watch how many legitimate stalkers travel for eight hours for a deer.
also ask John from Dumfries and Galloway police rural crimes how many of his customers travel four/six hours every night to his patch.

I have no more to say on it and as stated Adrian and accepted by him no harm was meant.

good night f.

When are you up,and how long do you have,I would take you round our patch if times suited,5 miles from falkirk ,whole central belt is moving with roe,if you were overnight I could've taken you to our ground near creif,to see our red?
Some people say its a fault I have,but I try to think people are genuine unless I find out otherwise,if not,god fu****g help them!!

Bob,
Thank you for your very generous offer. I will need to find out some definite times before I can say either way. I will be driving up from Durham early in the morning to kick the other half out at Falkirk and staying there overnight. I'm guessing it will be regular office hours.

In case there are any issues regarding who I am, I will have my Government (MOD) pass with me as ID if needed (I may need to go to the Faslane or Coulport Naval bases on the Wednesday). I won't bring any dogs. :thumb:

Back