Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BDS Membership

BDS Membership

Would it be worth my while joining the BDS? I'm alsways happy to join an organisation, provided I get some benefit, and provided they put something back into stalking. I'm already a member of BASC and the CPSA, so I don't need any more insurance.

What do you reckon- is joining the BDS worth your 48 or 52 a year?

I cannot advise you either way.
    I am a member of BDS, BASC, NGO but as far as the BDS go, I get a magazine quarterly which takes all of ten minutes to read and a reminder when my subscription is due.
    I believe they do a lot of work for Deer, which must be behind the scenes as it never involves me
    All the meetings are out of my reach mileage wise and any dinners they hold are always too expensive and are not in my region anyway.
    There are areas where plenty of local activity goes on so it may be a way of meeting like minded people but don't expect to get anything out of it.
    I have been a member for several years and now, since it is so expensive, I suppose would be a good time to have a rethink about renewal.
    Sorry for the negative reply but that is my opinion, they have plenty of members so not everybody is of the same opinion.

I joined the BDS Southwest Scotland branch and my only regret was not joining sooner ! - Ive met great folk, attended great events, learnt a lot and had more than a few laughs along the me this was money well spent, i guess its like anything in life, you'll get back what you put in.............simples !

I have been pleasantly surprised by being in the BDS, getting the impression that the members have the same intentions at heart.

Bill your sense of humour is right up there with the best of them.

It's quite an active branch though, other areas may vary.

I was a member of the BDS, but didn't renew my subscription this year due to a bit of financil belt-tightening. The local branch wasn't very active, although I understand that there are now a few events planned. I have maintained my BASC membership due to the insurance, and will probably join the BDS again if things improve..

I made what turned out to be a very good decision many years ago when working in the Middle East and a little flush with cash and bought a Life Membership of the BDS. The magazine is excellent and a very high quality production and although I found little of interest in the most recent, there are usually some well written scientific or pseudo-scientific articles which you'd not find in any other publication. There isn't a Welsh branch of the BDS and I would have to attend Midlands branch meetings which are a little too far afield for me. I might go to range days but this particular branch doesn't hold many and it's just as easy for me to go to Minsterley and pay on the day or maybe to go to the new indoor facility in the Peaks.

I think the value of the BDS to an individual largely depends on how active the local branch is and what activities/event they put on, these seem to vary considerably from branch to branch. If I was not a Life Member and had to pay an annual subscription I would probably have to think about the value I received living where I do. I would miss the magazine but would not pay 50 a year for that alone.

I am sure that the BDS do some good work in support of our deer and much of this is unsung and under-rated and the BDS can represent deer as a single issue which is something that no other organisation can do.

BDS, gave up with them years ago, got tired of the strong smell under the nose attitude.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    To me, yes it's worth it. Just keep in mind that BDS is not a stalking or sporting organisation, but a charity focused on the welfare of deer. In their words they are "promoting deer welfare and best management principles in deer management." If that's an ideal that you feel is worth supporting then take out a subscription.

Unfortunately in my area the local branch closed down some time ago, but I know that some other areas have well organised and attended events. Why not pop along to one of the local meetings in your area before you decide?

I actually quite enjoy the magazine, and I've also attended a number of the courses run by BDS which I've always found very worthwhile.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Joined after the recent SW Scotland training day, which my 2 mates and me found to be excellent.
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Can't really compare the BDS with BASC, one has over a hundred staff and the other has about four! With the BDS, its much more a case of 'you get out what you put in', those that just want to sit on their bums waiting for the local branch to arrange something that interests them will probably be dissapointed. The best advice I can give is to join for one year, make a genuine effort to attend the events in your area, and your neighbouring area, then decide for yourself whether or not to continue. Those that already are members but don't feel enough is done for them can always approach their local branch committee and offer their services to help make more things happen. JC