To tip a stalker?

groach1234

Having come from a game shooting background i understand that it is necessary to tip the keeper at the end of the day. Now is it the same with stalking? I tend to tip and the end of a successful stalk is this the norm? is it also expected to tip at the end of a 'unsuccessful' (don't like that word) stalk? or is it not expected at all? If you do tip, how much is it per beast as a rule of thumb? more for a buck/stag than doe/hind?

George

Last edited:
I can tell you what I do, it may or may not work for you but it just seems fair to me:

I know approx what the stalkers fee is on the ground I take "bought" days on (i.e. how much the stalker pockets after the estate and booking fee and so on) and it is a bit less than what I get paid for a days work so I always try to make that up to what I would get paid for a day. I would do this even if we were "unsuccessful" and in fact the last time I was out we didn't get out of the car because of bad weather (The forecast said it was to clear - it didn't) but we sat and discussed the possibility of my doing DSC2 and the stalker put me right on a few things and give me lots of info. In effect I got a one day DSC2 classroom session.

So, i guess there are as many answers to this as there are people but my bottom line is that I don't expect the stalker to work for anything less than I work for.

Having come from a game shooting background i understand that it is necessary to tip the keeper at the end of the day. Now is it the same with stalking? I tend to tip and the end of a successful stalk is this the norm? is it also expected to tip at the end of a 'unsuccessful' (don't like that word) stalk? or is it not expected at all? If you do tip, how much is it per beast as a rule of thumb? more for a buck/stag than doe/hind?

George
if the stalker is working for an estates yes i will tip as he isnt getting the full fee you are paying just a wage,if the stalker is working for himself IE taking your total fee himself no I dont

If you've had an enjoyable stalk, regardless of whether it was succesful, I'd say yes, even if it's only a tenner for a couple of beers.

If you are planning to go with them regularly it can only help!

Thanks for your opinions and definitely worth thinking about. As for make sure they don't earn less that i do, I'm 18 and working for £6 an hour so that would really work. I went out today and got a fallow doe and tipped £20 to the keeper. I decided that was the right amount as i can't afford much more and when I have already almost spent 2 days wages on the stalk i would struggle to tip much more. But as has been said looking after him can't do me any harm for future stalking.

George

Thanks for your opinions and definitely worth thinking about. As for make sure they don't earn less that i do, I'm 18 and working for £6 an hour so that would really work. I went out today and got a fallow doe and tipped £20 to the keeper. I decided that was the right amount as i can't afford much more and when I have already almost spent 2 days wages on the stalk i would struggle to tip much more. But as has been said looking after him can't do me any harm for future stalking.

George

George

That's really generous given how much you earn. When I started I was on very low pay, and having got to know the stalker I used to give him a bottle of Famous Grouse after a weekends stalking. Come to think of it, when I used to stay at his family cottage we ended up drinking a fair portion of it as well.

George
When you clock off after a days work, does anyone hand you a tip! Thought not.

you will know when its the write time to tip, like today you had a cracking morning and you were very happy :D if your not happy about things then you dont give anymore of your hard earned cash away. as for how much thats upto you in my eyes that keeper will probably have a idea of what kind of money your earning just from chatting with you and he will realise £20 is a fair amount of cash to some people. others its a very small drop in the ocean :drool:

I think that is very reasonable and fair George and I am sure the stalker appreciated such a good tip from a younger chap such as yourself, he will almost certainly understand that you are not rolling in cash and he will probably value the tip more for it. In the end it isn't so much about the actual cash value and more about letting him know you appreciate the effort and I've never been out with anyone who has done anything except work very hard. Also, in the longer term, if you are going to be booking with this stalker on a regular basis then I'm sure he will remember that you appreciate his efforts and I am sure he will continue to do his best for you.

This year for stags on the hill it seems to have gone up. Looking around £60-£80/stag, £40 for a blank.

Hinds work out at around £40-£50/day.

This is a general rule of thumb

Last edited:
I've never been a big tipper, I think if you do a fair job you command a fair wage. Even when I was working behind a bar some 15+ years ago tips always made me feel somewhat underneath, and servant like, to the tipper...which I think no man wishes to feel. I'm not saying all people have the same reaction, that just my personal feeling. Please bear in mind though that I have formed this opinion having never paid for shooting (although a stalk or two soon before taking on my mates land may rectify that!), and have never moved closely within the what might be called "traditional game shooting" circles.

On an aside, from your posts George, you sound like a thoroughly good young man with a sensible head and good set of ethics - I certainly wouldn't mind attending a shoot with yourself if you conduct your shooting half as well as your online posts. You've certainly got a range of responses here, I would say you're well equipped to make up your own mind and judgement - and be correct when you find your conclusion.

Last edited:
A stalkers job is to get you shot at a beast. A Gamekeepers job is to present pheasants and at least give you the chance for a shot. A gillie's job is to show you a beat on a river in the hope of you catching a fish. That surely is the very basic required.

If one of them goes that extra wee bit in ensuring your day is just that much more enjoyable, or they impart a piece of their knowledge your way or pull out the tin of beer at the larder then in my opinion the effort is beyond what would be expected as part of their employment and as such should be rewarded. The laugh alone I have had over the years with some of them has made the offer of a tip an appropriate gesture. JMHO

Best tip for a 'keeper or stalker is to never own a bank and never lend money to strangers... and if he wants to double his money, fold it in half!!

This year for stags on the hill it seems to have gone up. Looking around £60-£80/stag, £40 for a blank.

Hinds work out at around £40-£50/day.

This is a general rule of thumb

Afraid I would be about half what you have quoted. I am not on a big salary and there is something to be said for giving what you can rather than a set amount.

For a blank day there is a huge variety. If the guy is a grumpy bugger and has not really pushed himself I will feel giving a tip a bit like an amputation. However, if he has bust his balls and just been really unlucky he will have my sympathy as i have seen some days rest on a knife edge for want of a sudden wind direction change or a walker appearing at the wrong moment.

I have been very lucky with nearly every day i have had being awesome and it is always a joy to say a big thank you for a truly memorable stalk.

i am merely stating what I have found to be the norm this year.

what you want to tip is entirely your decision.

Last edited:
as a stalker i judge my guests enjoyment of the day in the handshake.

if i had a crap meal i wouldnt tip, same with stalking

I gave a hill Head Stalker (hope it wasn't Dan!) a bottle of Leapfrog once, he said thank you very much, put it in the cupboard, got a bottle of Tesco Value cooking Whiskey flavoured drink substitute out and offered me a dram! I still stayed and drank the rest of the bottle with him but had a sore head the next morning, wouldn't be suprised if it had been cut 50:50 with anti-freeze or something! JC

Back