Badger diggers caught red handed

I reckon if on conviction, they were put in a cage fighting ring, along with a very angry saltwater croc, they could then experience the thrills from the perspective of the bayed animal, things might go a bit more quiet on the badger baiting / dog fighting front.

All three were also ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work and must pay £2,000 each in costs.

What's the betting they never pay a penny of the costs or do a single hour of community service?

Gun or a rabbiting spade? In the intro pic before the VTR gets going it looks as if he might be leaning on it as you would a spade. If it was a gun I'm sure the press would have bigged it up, bearing in mind the present post-Cumbria climate.

definitly a spade you can see the handle, there defence was they were after foxes, not to sure about that due to the staffy.

Okay, obviously illegal to harass/disturb badgers, but....IMO there is a world of difference between digging and baiting.

Half the country is over run with them, they have no natural predators in the UK, and if it was ever legal then I think a bit of digging and subsequent shooting of some animals is preferable to gassing whole setts.

I think they still dig badgers in Scandanavia?

Last edited:
Hang on a minute gents, to be convicted of interfeering with a badger set and baiting are two opposites but its always baiting when the press get hold of it, you lot sound like a bunch of antis, just because they have a terrier "for fox" a shovel "to dig the terrier out with" and a staffy "for marking occupied fox earths" that makes them badger baiters... just because its not the sport you enjoy then dont condemn other fieldsports that have also gone on for centuries also just like stalking.

Leon

Last edited:
Hang on a minute gents, to be convicted of interfeering with a badger set and baiting are two opposites but its always baiting when the press get hold of it, you lot sound like a bunch of antis, just because they have a terrier "for fox" a shovel "to dig the terrier out with" and a staffy "for marking occupied fox earths" that makes them badger baiters... just because its not the sport you enjoy then dont condemn other fieldsports that have also gone on for centuries also just like stalking.

Leon

+1
They weren't badger baiting in that clip, it was just a normal dig but for a protected species. Badgers are hunted in France, Germany, Scandinavia, E. Europe, USA...it has just come up on the wrong side of ham-handed legislation in this country.

Just my opinion, but if you ask most members of the public I doubt they perceive us as being much better than these chaps...

Back