Drinks Chiller/Larder: where is best to source one?

groach1234

Well after being unable to buy the carcass of the doe i shot yesterday due to no where fit to hand it (and the inability to butcher although this could have been gotten around) it has got me wanting to buy a mini larder (drinks fridge) So, where would i source such a thing? is ebay they best place? and what sort of a cost should i be looking to pay? thanks in advance as i do really want to keep and eat the next one.

George

after looking on ebay for ages trying to get one close by i was on my way home and one was outside a shop along with and ice cream freezer so i called in to ask about them and they where going to the tip as they where noisey so i asked if i could have them and the answer was yes i got them home to try out and after plugging in the freezer was very noisey so i took the back off and found a plastic wrapper off a fag packet wrapped around the fan so switched it off and pulled the wrapper off and tried again quite as a mouse and works a treat . and my double fridge the bearing had gone dry so after a good grease its mint.all i can say is keep your eyes peeled but failing that ebay around £100 seems to be the normal price.if you want a hand to butcher one im not far from you i can come round to show you the ropes .if your friends are like mine you wont need a cooler just process straight away and invite everyone round .i have just got a mincer and sausage maker so thats next on the list as well as curing a leg to hang on my new wrack in the kitchen.
atb,wayne

keep your money in your pocket mate. i asked in every shop i was in had they on aul fridge that they didn't want and ended up with a double pepsi fridge in perfect condition not 200 feet from my house!! FOR FREE!!

Hi George
Like yourself I would also like a chillier and found there is a good selection on eBay. I would say on average you might pay between £100/£200 depending on condition. But I have seen them as low as £50. My only concern is how reliable are the second hand ones? and also they are bloody heavy so you need to collect
Cheers Will

Hi Groach
You just need to keep an eye out for shops closing down, Don't be shy get in there and ask.
One day you will get lucky. Mine has saved me many a carcass, Would not be with out one now..
Good luck..

Drinks fridges are classed as commercial waste and companies therefore have to pay money to have them de-gassed and scrapped! That's why they are happy to give them away when they get a bit tatty for shop use. Keep an eye out for shops and especially garages closing down or upgrading!;)
MS:)

Thanks for the advice on looking at shops closing down/refitting I will keep an eye open and thanks for the offer wayne I may well take you up on it.

George

Hi George
Go to lithgows auctions at stokesley on google
They have sales of kitchen equipment on a regular basis
Any that are not very good looking go for about 70 pounds
If you are in the york area they are about an hour from you
Give the auctioneer a ring.
Does your local shoot have a chiller they may let you put deer in there for a few days

Regards
Ian

Hi George
Go to lithgows auctions at stokesley on google
They have sales of kitchen equipment on a regular basis
Any that are not very good looking go for about 70 pounds
If you are in the york area they are about an hour from you
Give the auctioneer a ring.
Does your local shoot have a chiller they may let you put deer in there for a few days

Regards
Ian

No, no fridge on the local shoot. Will look into the auction as well though thanks for the info.

George

Drinks fridges are classed as commercial waste and companies therefore have to pay money to have them de-gassed and scrapped! That's why they are happy to give them away when they get a bit tatty for shop use. Keep an eye out for shops and especially garages closing down or upgrading!;)
I got my stalking partner one last year I was waiting in the waiting room whilst having a MOT done at a garage and staring me in the face was a double drinks chiller for £60 as they were upgrading the equiptment in the garage shop, rung my mate up and he was round collecting as fast as you can blink an eye its a cracker as well and easily gets 6 beasts in it.

MS has got it spot on, I have a friend who does the handling of hazardous waste, he had the ones from the Dorset coast fiasco, they were only big enough for one roe though.

I found one for NJC, but he had not built his shed yet, so it went elswhere. A local off liscense closed down and a mint double was going for £80.00, shame I had nowhere to store it. Pubs, off licenses, and corner shops that are closing down are the places to ask at. Make sure you get one with the refrigeration unit at the back, so it is as high as possible.

Good hunting, ft

I have a double one but another of my friends ,takes his beast home skins it in his garage , and hands it to his local butcher who does the jointing for £15 exactly as he wants it .

In the autumn / winter a cool garage is perfectly adequate over night, even for a couple of days, then skin it and butcher the carcas. Look on you tube for butchering videos - chopping a carcas up, especially Roe is pretty straightforward and can easily be done on a kitchen table. I reckon it takes me about an hour from skin still on to major joints in fridge which I then leave for three or four days to age before final chopping.

Back