Wanted: Wild boar shooting wanted.

RETIC80

Looking for wild boar/deer shooting around ross on wye area, willing to pay, pm details, cheers.

I too would love to try boar shooting in either Herefordshire or the Forest of Dean areas which are on my doorstep but sadly I think the chances of contacting someone that can provide this are slim.

Yep, i know! But hey, thought i'd ask!

Funnily enough, im still looking for some boar shooting, either permission or bought days/nights.
More than willing to pay going rates and more for good oppertunities, need some ground/invites etc for varitation.
Pm if you think you can help,cheers.

Tried him some time ago Malc - no joy. It was a one off for H4H he doesn't sell boar shooting normally.

If you want invites for variations, you may be out of luck.
Get the variation on your merits then buy some boar hunting.

Not looking for an invitation John, I'm looking to buy a day or night in an area close to me namely F.O.D. or Hereforshire.

Sounds really helpful to me!If you want invites for variations, you may be out of luck.
Get the variation on your merits then buy some boar hunting.

Sorry Finn, my grammars not great,but think you know what I meant.West Mercia, if contacted by another force ref an invite or bought night used to be very very reluctant to ok it.
They were more than helpfull and 100% if you had your own ground.
And from my experiences, other police forces wanted permission from actual landowner,in writing.
And, W.Mercias thoughts on that wasn`t too good, as like they told me, means loads of people ended up with permission on a piece of ground in Hfds.
So I always found it easier to supply nights hunting, a rifle or 2 and one or two pigs.

I can see where you are coming from now John, at first I thought "thats a bit off", but like you say it was the way it was written and not as intended. The situation you describe happened to me with regard to muntjac in West Mercia. They confirmed suitability to my issuing force some land for fox control with a .222 rifle but would not confirm muntjac as they said they didn't exist on that land when they clearly do, yet they granted permission to another stalker to shoot deer on the same land.

What makes this ridiculous is that anyone with a rifle cleared for deer or boar by another force could come in on a permission where the holder can't get a variation on their rifle and shoot those species. We had this situation some years ago in Monmouth in what was Gwent Constabulary's area. They were extremely difficult over issuing FACs (not ground approval) but a few local guys actually moved house a few miles to get over the border into West Mercia, got their FACs and then used them back in Gwent perfectly legally provided that the ground had been cleared.

John D.M. is spot on, I had a day booked with him, he even sent me a very professional written confirmation but my local plod wanted the landowner and the local police to confirm that the ground had boar and had been cleared for them. All I wanted was to insert the words "wild boar" onto the conditions for an existing rifle and to hold an extra few heavier rounds. John (quite understandably) did not want his landowner hassled with constant enquiries from various police forces wanting this information and after long arguments with my local plod I gave up and used John's rifles with some success. The completely stupid thing was that they gave me the extra ammo!!

Last edited:
The situation seems to have reversed with Gwent now being reasonable and West Mercia playing silly buggers.

Sorry 8x57, English is my 2nd language, I`m from the Forest of Dean originally:lol::lol:
Thats a turn up for the books, Gwent ok and WM being funny..

Yes it is a bit of a turn up for the books. I'm hoping that with all the proposed cuts to police budgets all forces will in future waste less time on messing everyone around seeking confirmations several times over and purely concentrate on good reason. Either you are considered a suitable person to hold firearms or you aren't. Why should you only be able to shoot fox but not muntjac on the same ground using a .222 rifle, it's either or rather you are either safe, or you aren't.

Yes a distinctly different sub-dialect of English practised in the forest.

Growing up in Monmouth were always warned about the Vorrest people, they spoke a strange language, married their cousins and were best treated with care. Having met John DM I'd like to say that I was wrong.... I'd like to but...............

Seriously though I recently wrote to the government suggesting that they scrap local firearms departments and have one central organisation that administrated the issue of FACs and SCs, just implemented the HO guidelines, kept a national database of ground cleared for rifles, with one or two constables or civilians in each force tasked with checking the ground and home security if necessary, thus taking away any decisions from Chief Constables and stopping them from inventing firearms laws to promote their own agendas and saving large amounts of money in beaurocracy and the significant and largely unnecessary expense of defending appeals made by aggrieved FAC holders and applicants.

Paul what you suggested was in fact mooted from within the Home Office about 15 years ago by a top ranking civil servant "thinking outside the box". Most regular shooters seemed to favour the idea but the Chief Constables hated it. Needless to say it was dropped. Perhaps now that finances aren't quite the same for police forces and empire building is on the wain, the folder will be taken out of some bottom draw, dusted off and proposed as new thinking?

Not a hope in hell getting boar or feral/wild goat from West Mercia. All the police forces singing from different hymn sheets again.

Jonathon

Sorry jonathon
cant help with the boar wish i could
ive got boar on my ticket and no ground to shoot them on myself

Back