Sako 85

Hornady

Well i finally gave in!

Now the proud owner of a Sako 85 Grey wolf in .223

Stuck a Jet Z CQB mod on the end and it looks the absolute business!

I tried to make myself buy the Tikka T3 but the cheap feeling stock and plastic parts just put me off.

im £1500 lighter now and i think i wont be able to eat for a few weeks lol

This is a damn fine rifle!

Very good choice a friend of mine has the grey wolf,for the price I would say its the one of the best factory rifles, his rifle groups half inch with certain loads under an inch at 100 with various factory loads not bad for an out of the box rifle hope to aquire a wolf soon myself.

Very good choice a friend of mine has the grey wolf,for the price I would say its the one of the best factory rifles, his rifle groups half inch with certain loads under an inch at 100 with various factory loads not bad for an out of the box rifle hope to aquire a wolf soon myself.

i got a box of 55gr hornady vmax and a box of PPU 55gr SP for plinking and zeroing, lets hope the PPU is MOA :)

Hornady,

I use one in 6.5 x 55. some say that the action is loose.

I find that I can flick the bolt up after shot with only my thumb. I then tilt it backward and find it already sliding rearward. I'm still focused on the downed deer...

By the time I'm ready to recycle the bolt I find that it's already there.

Enough said.

Stan

I like laminate stocks and the Sako in grey is a looker , the laminate is more stable than walnut ,does not mark as easily and is a lot more attractive than a lump of black plastic (and no problems with floppy limp fore ends as on some of the cheaper ,nastier ones), having said that i do have a couple of rifles with black synthetic stocks.
I dont own a Sako with a laminate stock - i bought a T3 laminate stainless in .243 instead - and i know what you mean about the plastic bits - but it is a very handy ,light accurate rifle (certainly lighter than my walnut stocked 75's anyway).
I have never owned a Sako in .223 but recently handled one ( with a walnut stock ) and really liked the small scale action and light weight of it .I shoot several different calibres and have tried PPU in all of them - they have all shot well with it , the only problem i have found that it was difficult to chamber a round in a couple of rifles - when other brands were not , whether this was down to the case dimensions of the ppu on the outside of the envelope for the cartridge or something else i dont know - it certainly has not put me off PPU , good value ammunition that does what it says on the tin.

yeh the bolt is kinda loose but i think thats to do with the design to allow the bolt to slide in without catching. the bolt is like silk though and has a very fast lock time. The stock is lovely and the whole gun is very nice.

if i was going to go for the tikka it would of been the laminate one. it looks the best of the bunch. but no one seems to stock it.

cant wait to shoot it tomorrow :)

Still not shot the damn rifle. Took it up the range and got told that i had to be supervised and needed to pass some kind of test to shoot it!

i was like wtf ill take it over the field tomorrow then!

I have the laminated stainless Sako 85 in 22-250. I have just ordered the Sako 85 in .243, with the Bavarian stock.

Well i finally gave in!

Now the proud owner of a Sako 85 Grey wolf in .223

Stuck a Jet Z CQB mod on the end and it looks the absolute business!

I tried to make myself buy the Tikka T3 but the cheap feeling stock and plastic parts just put me off.

im £1500 lighter now and i think i wont be able to eat for a few weeks lol

This is a damn fine rifle!

I have the 85 Stainless/Laminate in 6.5x55, and am very happy with it too. It's quite a 'butt heavy' stock, but balances well enough with an Ase Compact on the other end.
It's a shame you feel the T3 is so inferior. I have one, and it handles and shoots just as nicely as the Sako and was a lot cheaper. The plastic parts have never bothered me, and the magazine is easier to operate especially when really cold.

I have the 85 Stainless/Laminate in 6.5x55, and am very happy with it too. It's quite a 'butt heavy' stock, but balances well enough with an Ase Compact on the other end.
It's a shame you feel the T3 is so inferior. I have one, and it handles and shoots just as nicely as the Sako and was a lot cheaper. The plastic parts have never bothered me, and the magazine is easier to operate especially when really cold.

if i wanted a no frills tack driver i would of gotten a tikka but i wanted a nice rifle that i could keep for years and look after. The Sako should keep its value well since all my guns are immaculate and with the price rises and VAT in jan now was a good time to buy in.

Just purchased a sako 85 hunter .243.
I have already had 1/2" 3 shot groups at 185y! (with reloads)
I can't believe the accuracy from a hunting rifle:D

Very nice looking rifle,The gray wolf seems to be a popular choice of late. Shame it is very hard/expensive to pillow bed them?
If any body knows of an easy way of doing this and a cost effective method than please let us all know?
Or have Sako made the laminate like this because you dont really need it?
After typing this I have just thought maybe its only on my action which is medium/long?

Back