entry shotgun for British shooting?

Steffen

what would be considered a good entry level shotgun(double barreled) for British shooting.
the baikal is very popular over here, but then we don't have the high volume shooting of a driven pheasants shoot.

i have also looked at the beretta 686, but i find it to be outside my budget.

inputs and recommandations will be appreciated.

Hia Steffen,
The question is ...... what is your budget. Are you looking to buy new or second hand mate ?

Ade

the way i see it, a budget is irrelevant, the question is how much do i need to spend.
if i can't afford it now, i would just have to wait longer.
if i were buying a new 12ga o/u, which models will have sufficient quality but nothing more.

but i was hoping to get away with it for less than 1000£

I managed to fumble my way happily through several years of recreational clay shooting with a Baikal, never had a misfire or failed ejection, not the sexiest of guns but did the job admirably.

Steffen,
There are several around this budget at a new price. Lanber, Sabatti, Lincoln, Bettinsoli, Laurona, Baikal, Verney Carron, and loads more. But. You are better off getting something nearly new from the higher price brackets. I would suggest a searching for a little while to locate a good second hand model from a higher end brand. Beretta 686, to a Miroku, Browning etc. all these in over and under. There are some very good semi-auto's out there too, some which are not too far away from your budget at a new price. A lot will depend on your build, your physical dimensions. All the above have different dimensions to their stocks, some are heavier than others and barrel length varies.

What will you be shooting mostly ???? It sounds like you are rough shooting, if so go for a 28 inch barrel. This will be manoeverable enough to be stable but pointable enough to use. My own preference is for an over and under, you might like a side by side but beware it is easier to use an over and under more effectively. Go to a clay ground and ask about, try a few different ones and see what you like.

The thing is the more people you ask the more answers you will get, and probably more than one from these people too.

If I were to say one, go for that 686, second hand. Look after it and it will last longer than you will.

Hope I did'nt confuse you with my ramblings, it's a daunting choice getting your first. You won't go wrong with Beretta, I have 3 !

Cheers

Ade

90% of the shooting will be like rough shooting alone, without dogs and usually 10 shots or less within 2-3 hours.
i used to own a baikal, which was good enough for this use, but i would prefer if it was 2-3hg lighter.
autoloaders and pumps are out of the question, because of Norwegian magazine regulations making it inconvenient when meeting people or passing obstacles.
unless you want to use it as a single shot.

as to type, a 28" barreled o/u is what i am familiar with, and my next will probably be one too.
The thing is the more people you ask the more answers you will get, and probably more than one from these people too.
unfortunately this is true.

can't wait to get my new shotgun, if only raising money for it was equally as fun.
thanks for your replies.

In an o/u, I'd personally give serious consideration to a second hand Miroku Grade 1 MK60 or MK70. In side by side, the AYA No4 is a reliable and well balanced gun that can be picked up in good condition for about £500....not bad when the new price is about £3,000.

steffen
good advice allready given
if you can stretch your budget go for a beretta as allready stated will last for years
also will hold its value

for the main thing your going to be using it for a miroku would be a good choice also
an mk 60 or 70 are quite flat shooting a sporter a bit higher and a trap model higher again

my top bit of advice is whatever you buy whether it be a 100 pound baikal or ten thousand
pound beretta perazzi etc is to get it fitted to make sure its shooting where your looking

regards pete .

I remember borrowing a Baikal when the connecting rod on my beretta bust. I kicked ass for the rest of the shoot, wouldn't mind one.

The other option is find a good old English built boxlock non-ejector side by side - if you shop around you should find a nice clean one for a few hundred pounds. If still out of your budget then get yourself an AyA No 3 and you can find good ones for £100 and up. My Father bought a new No3 back in the 1950's and its a lovely gun and really well built, but they don't seem to have any 2nd or third hand value. I recentyl picked up a No3 Magnum for £200 and probably paid a bit more as it is a magnum.

Over an under - comments would agree with above - Beretta, Browning, Mirokus, but don't discount the likes of Rizzini etc.

For a grand you have the choice of a nearly new Beretta, Browning or Miroku.
All are available in fixed or multi choke, that is your choice, but whichever you buy.......
Buy the one that fits you, the others, no matter how nice are nothing more than a waste of money (to you).

Neil. :)

PS You may get a Miroku Mk60 (fixed choke, or Mk70 (multi-choke) grade 1 new for that money.

I managed to fumble my way happily through several years of recreational clay shooting with a Baikal, never had a misfire or failed ejection, not the sexiest of guns but did the job admirably.

I still have one and use it for rough shooting. Have aslo taken it to Pheasant drives and shown some of the guns up with their very expensive quality shotguns. No, its not the best build quality of looking but I dont mind if it gets knocked ot marked. Soemthing Ill always have in my cabinet.

as already said a good old cheap side by side aya will see you good for years to come and if i were you i would buy yourself something cheap to get your self up and running and keep your eyes open for a bargin berretta,browning or what ever takes your fancy in a year or 2

All shotguns manufactured recently are reliable these days and will shoot good. The squishy bit behind the stock is usually the main difference. You'll also get a different answer to this question from pretty much everyone, pointing out their preferences. What's more, it'll all be good advice!

I suggest that you have to narrow it down yourself. For example, decide that it's an over and under you want with 28" barrels and not too heavy with whatever chokes you want (or whatever you decide). Then take a trip to a gun shop or two and have a look and feel of what they have in stock, see what feels right to you.

You're right that a used Beretta or similar good make might be just out of the £1000 range, but you could get lucky there. However, with them, remember although you are paying for an excellent piece of engineering and design, you also pay for the name. So don't be afraid to buy one of the other makes. But one word of warning, be certain you will be happy with it. If you really want a Beretta, Browning, Miroku or whatever, rather than buying something you'll want to change before long, I'd wait a month or two and save a little more to get what you'll be happy keeping.

if you settle for a non ejctor you can usualy get twice the gun for half the money, i recently got a 28ins Dickson 6lb 12bore non ejector for 500 pounds

For wot u describe there would be nothing wrong with ur Bakail, but if u find it too heavy O/U shotgns are heavier than S/S's

So if u want an O/U u could step down to 20g prob about the same weight as a 12g S/S, this should not affect u but obvously with lighter guns u will feel more recoil from same weight of cartridge, not a problem for roughshooting but possibly if u use it for clays or a big driven day

I've shot S/S's all my life and never had an O/U, just bougt me most expensive shotgun ever last year at £350 bueatiful looking side lock, u really don't need to spend fortunes unlike rifles a more expensive shotgun won't be more accurate as long as it fits u. For rough shooting i actually prefer a non ejector as it save u trying to find/catch the empty shells, i still regularly use my very first gun that i bought 25 years ago for 30 quid, shoots as good now as ever (looks bloody rough thou)

Personnally i would never spend that sort of money on a shotgun, yes u get wot u pay for but most guns are fairly realible now, i would try and mount as many as u can and just go for wot u like and wots fits u best

2p worth

winchester 101 xtr will do you fine but ejector parts are hard to find , anything from the ussr is built like a tank and handles just the same . B .686/7 used will last you forever and under your price range, just for comparison i use'd to have lots of shotguns such as b25/ b2g's miroku gr 5. 27" and a SO for game . i won a 686e and sold the rest i have never looked back . it down to you go with the rest of the sheep and go top class or use a shot gun of your choice at save your cash for shooting.
:tiphat:

The other option is find a good old English built boxlock non-ejector side by side - if you shop around you should find a nice clean one for a few hundred pounds. If still out of your budget then get yourself an AyA No 3 and you can find good ones for £100 and up. My Father bought a new No3 back in the 1950's and its a lovely gun and really well built, but they don't seem to have any 2nd or third hand value. I recentyl picked up a No3 Magnum for £200 and probably paid a bit more as it is a magnum.

Plenty of bargains with good Birmingham or provincial makers box locks, light to carry and likely to last for generations.

Blackpowder

+1 on the aya,no4 got two side by sides,but my go to guns 686s for the last 7 or 8 yrs practically every day any weather,also had lincoln good but traded on second 686. cheers doug.

Back