So.... why is there a problem with charlies then?

Paul at Fechan

I just don't get it. Why can't people use the rifle of their choice on the quarry species of their choice because safety in the field is determined by the rifle operator whether it's .223 or massive. Out on the hill farms where I shoot most of my charlies, the 22CF doesn't cut it at distance when it's breezy.

My 223 is ideal on paper. Moderated and straight pull with a big variable but over 100m it's just pishy in the wind but on the low ground sneaking in and out of smaller fields it has it's place. So I stopped using it out in the wild and now always use my .308 with a big variable and the results are much better all round. With the good lamp and off the roof with bipod shots are good to a much better distance and the bullet is far more lethal with the extra whoomf it carries. But some forces have issues with this......

What are the reasons or excuses why a stalking calibres are said to be unsuitable for use on charlies, just curious?

It's fine but 50gr stuff is pushed too easy in the wind and when charlie's on a hillside at 150m with a cross wind. :rolleyes: That's when I'd be glad I had the .308 to really make sure.

I havent noticed a huge problem with my 223 either and im only shooting 55grn bullets, pretty quick loads right enough but very accurate.

Interested to know what load your using Paul.

Mine is 27 grns Varget
Remington 71/2 Primer
Either a 55grn Vmax or 55grn Gameking BT

We have hills & consequently valleys too, along with some exceedingly unpredictable winds, specially round our grounds in Wales, Charlie has no hiding place from our .223's. 52 grain A max over 24.8 grains Vit N133 pretty regular out to 300yds.

I use varget too and either 50gr hp's or 40gr vmax. On paper is fine but maybe I'm just over thinking the shots when it's windy because at 200m my stuff in a cross wind moves up to 3 inches across so at 200 that's going to be 8 inch ish drift?

I think the uneducated call it 'overkill' :rolleyes:

They should come and watch me turn a fox inside out with a 22-250 :D that'd show 'em the meaning of the word

What are the reasons or excuses why a stalking calibres are said to be unsuitable for use on charlies, just curious?

The answer is simple check out page 77 of the home office guide lines
it gives you a chart of all the calibres(well most of them) and what they recommend is suitable for each quarry species
there is a link in the below thread

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....0-Home-office-guide-to-the-Police-on-Firearms

the problem is your Firearms licensing department think this guide is the law and thats that
common sense does not prevail when it is written in black and white :confused:

They're a bit odd though, listen to this. I was told by the head of firearms that he wouldn't condition my .375 h&h for deer on my woodland because it was simply too big but he had no problems as per the standard conditions of my fac with me shooting rabbits with a .308....... eh? :eek:

Is it only me that things that's just silly?

The answer is simple check out page 77 of the home office guide lines
it gives you a chart of all the calibres(well most of them) and what they recommend is suitable for each quarry species
there is a link in the below thread

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....0-Home-office-guide-to-the-Police-on-Firearms

the problem is your Firearms licensing department think this guide is the law and thats that
common sense does not prevail when it is written in black and white :confused:

That pretty much sums it up, although in acting so prescriptively the admin drones in some FLDs look at that chart and think you can only use a certain calibre/cartridge on the quarry species noted at the top of the column and don't think for a minute that it might actually be suitable for any 'lesser' ones to the left. :doh:

All they need to do is apply Ch 13.13 of the Guidance:

13.22 Chief officers of police will wish to be
mindful that quarry species are mobile and
applicants may not be able to always predict
their presence on land on a consistent basis.
Certificate conditions should therefore allow
the applicant flexibility in dealing with quarry
species. However, where a particular quarry
forms the basis of the applicant’s “good
reason” its likely presence will need to be
confirmed (see paragraph 13.13 for guidance).

All a bit to simple for some I think. :D

I think the uneducated call it 'overkill' :rolleyes:

They should come and watch me turn a fox inside out with a 22-250 :D that'd show 'em the meaning of the word

Agree. Cant see my 50g Blitzkings moving that much with 35g of Benchmark behind them.

Back